• SPD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Flatties

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
SPD's

Morning lads
I see this thread is still growing.
I agree with Andy that its not good advice to unclip going before going down a hill. I think of SPD's as the only time to be unclipped is when stopped. If set up properly there is no need.If they are SPD's only type pedal and not a combo type one then unclipping while on the move is quite dangerous. Someone earlier said to unclip when heading for a junction, I think unclipping while in motion on the road is the wrong thing to advise. MTB situations are slightly different but if you cant come to a stop on a roadie without having your feet off the pedals then you need to hone your cycle skills before thinking about spd's.
They are easy to set up, if you buy cleats or shoes but especially pedals then they all come with instructions, or go to shimano's site as they have the setup for all aspects of position.

Jamie

Buy them

Fit them

Ride with them

Fall off with them

Then they become second nature.

I've only ever fallen off twice becuase of SPDs. Once when I first fitted them and when I was very, very drunk...

Iwasgoodonce":2rsm6o7a said:
xizang":2rsm6o7a said:
I've done the spd thing but always had sore knees for days after. I left it for quite a few years and tried them again. Felt really good, got new shoes (Shimano MP66's cos I've got wide feet)no knee trouble. Twisted my knee walking days later, back to flats again, for now.

Found the MP66's really comfy, like wearing Vans. Just order a size up.

Was there a time when there were two sorts of cleats? You know like the Look red (float) and black (no float) for SPDs? I'm sure I remember something like that?

Still are 2 sorts of cleats, SH-51 and SH-56.
SH-51 are single directional realease (only release when twisted outwards), SH-56 are multi-directional (release when twisted inwards, outwards or pulled backwards).

Can't ride without em, it just doesn't feel right not being attacted, one with the bike and all that .... lol, knew that would sound gay. :D

I only recently got them a month or so ago to try. Mainly has the middle of my foot would kill when riding losts.

I have been out a few times - had one fall, and one near miss but I am still VERY nervous with them.

I think about approaching junctions and unclip before I get to them. Similarly I unclip before I go fast downhill. I don't fancy getting run over.

I can see the benefits of going uphill much more power can be delivered.

I am still in two minds if they are of benefit to off-road. When I went out with some people from here a couple of weeks ago I just had no confidence to go battling along across the rocks as I normally would.

I will carry on persevering till I feel I have given them a good shot.

m-trax":276ugbsy said:
I only recently got them a month or so ago to try. Mainly has the middle of my foot would kill when riding losts.

I have been out a few times - had one fall, and one near miss but I am still VERY nervous with them.

I think about approaching junctions and unclip before I get to them. Similarly I unclip before I go fast downhill. I don't fancy getting run over.

I can see the benefits of going uphill much more power can be delivered.

I am still in two minds if they are of benefit to off-road. When I went out with some people from here a couple of weeks ago I just had no confidence to go battling along across the rocks as I normally would.

I will carry on persevering till I feel I have given them a good shot.

Think i would be nervous to use them aswell, still not sure about them.

I have added a poll.

richie-t":130z52u9 said:
shit, am i the only other person on the whole forum who doesnt use them either?!

No, I don't use them, now...............

Still going to keep my MP66's (size UK 11.5) though unless I can get a swap for some MP56's. May sell to buy the MP56's..........

Back