Zaskar History/Spec please

the great roberto

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Tried google and the search here, but no luck,so.............

Does anyonw have the manufacture dates/specs for Zaskars.Not too intrested in the latest ones, many upto 1999.

I have a 1997 frame that I have bought (not yet received) and may consider rebuilding it in 1997 spec.Then again i may updrade it to say XT ,albeit M739 spec and then again i may just go 9 speed (sorrry :oops: )

Would like to know where to start , thanks :D

you can look in the gallery&archive on this forum they have some catalogs of gt otherwise at a german site called mtb-catalog.de i think it is named :roll: that is where you can find some specs ;)

On pre-99 Zaskars, you can't really upgrade to XT because as complete bikes they were full XT spec to begin with (Except the first couple years there was an Suntour XC Pro option). Zaskar LE's were sold as separate frames as part of GT's Tech Shop program and were also sold as XTR complete spec bikes. So putting M739 on a 1997 Zaskar is probably close to the normal spec for that model year frame. The link Matt provided above would be the original specs.

Going to pick up frame today. So I will see what I've bought !
I suspect that over the years it has had Xt replaced with "what-ever".
We'll see.

With a frame number that starts 0697........

Am I right that the frame was built june 1997 ?

So could this be a 1997 or 1998 build. Not that it really matters. BTW, teh frame looks Red ish. Apologies to Zaskar nuts who will have a more official colour that that :)

It's definitely a 97 model year if June production. In 1997 they had a matte red anodized color they they called Frost Red anodized. If it's spent a lot of time outside it's probably faded. I'd post the catalog picture for you but it's shown in the optional Ball Burnished color in the 1997 catalog.

Back