b"O"b's Orange Aluminium Elite*finished result*

An update on project 'elite' :D
(..... as previewed on christiankay's thread!)

Still polishing the frame and forks..... on the 2nd tube of Autosol now!

The original components have polished up well and I've sourced the parts needed to make up the XT groupset. Need to build up the wheelset next. Still someway from completion but I've finally got the graphic proof sorted. A big thanks to Andy.W :cool:

cheers,
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• COMPLETE_AluElite_reduced.jpg
    COMPLETE_AluElite_reduced.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 4,718
  • elite_downtube.jpg
    elite_downtube.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 4,718
  • Elite_polish.jpg
    Elite_polish.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 4,718
That's looking gorgeous :cool: , i'd go with the Orange alloy fork if it were mine.

I've got to join the rest in saying,

£30 !!!!!!!!

:)

decals

you haven't got a spare proof of those decals by any chance?...

i am doing my own aluminium elite..could do with a set..

also what technique did you use to bring back the lustre to your frame?

Re: decals

hurin76":3olj76u9 said:
you haven't got a spare proof of those decals by any chance?

Hi. The proof of these 'elite' graphics is still in digital form at the moment. I'm still doing the Alistalk, stalk, and hot rod graphic proof at the moment, then I was going to pass them on to gil_m
I can laser copy these on to decal paper but the quality for the orange is really transparent and would be nothing like the quality that Gil can produce.

Perhaps if there is enough interest from 'elite' owners, we could get a batch done?
I also have a proof in digital form of the Aluminium "O" graphics if anyone is searching for them. Check my gallery pics.

As for this polished finish. -
Rub down with 400grit wet and dry
Rub down with coarse wire wool.
Rub down with fine wire wool.
Polish with Autosol*
Rub down with fine wire wool again*
Polish with Autosol.

*= repeat as necessary.
Doing mine on the occassional evening, this finish has taken 4 weeks so far! :oops:

Cheers,
boy"O"boy

polishing.....

Hi, that finish looks bloody fantastic! I stripped the lacquer off this ebay bargain yesterday (admittedly not an Orange but not bad for £5.56!)
I then used autosol and Maguires to give it a shine. I can live with the result but there are quite a few gauges and those strange worm like marks I was wondering if I could get rid of using your wire wool autosol method?

Cheers...Graeme.

Attachments

• giantatx850.jpg
    giantatx850.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 4,546
Re: polishing.....

Croydian":1zxaatd2 said:
...... there are quite a few gauges and those strange worm like marks I was wondering if I could get rid of using your wire wool autosol method?

To be honest Graeme, I wouldn't know. :? ..... giving it a rubdown with wirewool shouldn't harm it as long as it's not too coarse. Mines' had about 3 polishes with autosol using a fine grade wire wool in between. Is all the laquer off?...... you can soon tell as the Autosol will turn it black.

I tried a soapy scourer on the bars and then autosol and they've turned out ok too.

Good luck.
boy"O"boy

Re: autosol

hurin76":2c7t7tyn said:
also what technique did you use to bring back the lustre to your frame?

Spent an hour polishing up the reverse side of the seat stays last night.
For those who are unfamiliar with Autosol and frame polishing..... I thought a few pics of the process may help.

I haven't used nitromors on this frame, chosing to rub back the lacquer by hand instead. I prefer to do this as my work bench is the kitchen table! :D

Attachments

• polished2.jpg
    polished2.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 2,761
  • autosolpolish.jpg
    autosolpolish.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 2,761
  • autosolon.jpg
    autosolon.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 2,760
  • 360gritsand.jpg
    360gritsand.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 2,761
i'm no expert but i'm not too sure the 'powerstay' decals are correct...

i have some original powerstay ones from orange

pm me if you want them - i no longer need them

Nic

nporternz":2s2zzqm8 said:
i'm no expert but i'm not too sure the 'powerstay' decals are correct...

i have some original powerstay ones from orange

pm me if you want them - i no longer need them

Thanks Nic :D

These were copied from photographs and dimensions of the graphics before I stripped it. I'm fairly confident they are 100% accurate.

The 'powerstay' graphics on an aluminium "O" are different from the 'elite'....perhaps the one's you've got are a set of these?

Cheers for the offer though.

boy"O"boy

Latest posts

Back