Are spd's easy to use??

Do you use SPD or Flatties??

• SPD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Flatties

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Think i may stick with flats for a while and give spds a go at some point.

Once you've ridden SPDs flats will feel really inefficiant,they allow you to spin circles instead of just pressing down Fred Flinstone style ;) You soon get used to getting out of them,the only thing is to set them up correctly to avoid knee problems.

How is there different ways to set them up, yes i am confused again lol

basically, you need to set your foot position on the pedal, how easily you can release your foot and how much movement there is (float)

it is much easier than it sounds!

Easy_Rider":1vc0m7qk said:
basically, you need to set your foot position on the pedal, how easily you can release your foot and how much movement there is (float)

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Seriously confused lol

rojo":16pn1xz7 said:
Easy_Rider":16pn1xz7 said:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Seriously confused lol
You are right, you better stick with flatties. :?

there are screws to adjust how tight your foot is stuck in the pedal (and so how hard it is to get the foot in,) and also how much your foot can move once clipped in (ie how far you have to twist it to get it out. or from the other perpective, how far you can twist without it coming out)
basically it is trial and error til you find a setting you like.
all in all id recommend giving them a go and see if you like them. as you can see alot of ppl cant do without them.

I tried spd's years ago but couldn't get used to them so went to flats, Just gone back for another try with the spd's and prefer them now, Takes a few rides to get used to clipping in and out but i feel far more confident now. Flats are ok till they get wet and then you have watch for slipping off and smashing your nuts on the stem :shock: :oops: :LOL:

W W Biffta":jpjudv8v said:
imo you should always unclip before going down hill

And in my opinion, I think this is dangerous advice to give - the last place that you want to be sliding around unclipped on SPD's is going downhill as it would be all too easy to lose a foot off a pedal altogether - the consequences of this probably wouldn't be pleasant.
Anyway, how would you position your foot to avoid clipping in, seeing that it's a thing that happens almost intuitively (like unclipping for a quick dab does too).

I'm not knocking the use of flat pedals, but you'd be as well to use shin protection too, in that case - those pins can make a mess of your leg.

Back