Do you use SPD or Flatties??

• SPD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Flatties

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: SPD's

Jamiedyer":nigpqn9z said:
I have SPD's on both Roadies and my modern Stumpjumper but on all the old Stumpies they have shimano deore or xt flatties.
Havnt used flatties on a road bike for at least 12 years or so. Never would again either if given the choice and they are definately safe on the road. I remember riding a friends bike a couple of years ago with flatties and first thing I noticed was you cant seem to get the legs in the same rythem and definately couldnt climb or power away anywhere near as efficiently.
Have never had a problem on the road but have had the odd embarasing episode on the MTB.
I think when your tired and bonking that you get a hell of a lot further with spds than flatties, I dont know whether its because your in a rythem or whether it takes too much effort to unclip if you stop ;)
My roadies are used all the time with spd's and riding them nearly everyday you soon get used to it, but I find you dont have to unclip very much, especially compared to a MTB on a hilly course. I did around 30 - 40 miles this afternoon as I had to pick something up at the place where I work and only unclipped when I stopped at work and then when I rolled through the gate back at home.
Try them and see, especially if you can get some shoes to go with the ones mentioned above as that way your not investing too much.
My opinion is for the road, it cant be beaten
For the dirt, its a matter of taste I suppose, on rocky stuff I like to be able to dab a foot now and again.
Just remember to adjust the tension before you clip in.

Jamie

Thanks for info, how long take you to do 30/40 miles??

I've done the spd thing but always had sore knees for days after. I left it for quite a few years and tried them again. Felt really good, got new shoes (Shimano MP66's cos I've got wide feet)no knee trouble. Twisted my knee walking days later, back to flats again, for now.

Found the MP66's really comfy, like wearing Vans. Just order a size up.

I have used SPDs on the mountain bike since the early 90s. I really can't remember the last time I fell off because of them. I have always used Look on the road but am a recent convert to Time pedals. Try clipless and make a deal with yourself not to be put off them for at least a month. By that time you probably won't want to change.

xizang":11kaq2q0 said:
I've done the spd thing but always had sore knees for days after. I left it for quite a few years and tried them again. Felt really good, got new shoes (Shimano MP66's cos I've got wide feet)no knee trouble. Twisted my knee walking days later, back to flats again, for now.

Found the MP66's really comfy, like wearing Vans. Just order a size up.

Was there a time when there were two sorts of cleats? You know like the Look red (float) and black (no float) for SPDs? I'm sure I remember something like that?

Are there different sorts of spd's for different shoes or they all fit the same??

rojo":1pwp5l1t said:
Are there different sorts of spd's for different shoes or they all fit the same??

spd is the shimano system and they are all the same, companies like ritchey and others also make spd compatible gear, there are different system aswell like "time" and "look"

spd stands for "shimano pedal system"

bit like talking about a hoovers and vaccum cleaners, or tipex and white out fluid, duck tape and gaffa tape, blah blah
spd and clipless ;)

Back