Do you use SPD or Flatties??

• SPD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Flatties

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Andy B":1nzblqm1 said:
Yes, very safe once you get used to them

I've just done a 24 mile on road ride in my Spesh shoes & XTR SPD pedals, most roadies use SPD's all the time, MTB'ers is a bit of a split between flatties & SPD's

Might be an ideas to try some 2nd hand ones 1st to see if you do like them or not, unless you know anyone who has SPD's & the same size feet who's willing to let you try them

Bloody hell you guys are pro's on this site, you ride miles and miles. How many of you guys have spd's or are you flatties??

I won't tell you how long i took to do 24 miles :oops:

Training for a 50 mile charity ride (all on the bloody roads too, damn my roadie mates!) for the Grimsby branch of the Blue Cross in June!

rojo":1dh52c6r said:
Easy_Rider":1dh52c6r said:
Andy B":1dh52c6r said:
easy to use (after the comedy dismounts you can get as a newbie to SPD's) to release you just twist your heel away from the chainstay (or with multi release cleats twist or pull up)

Never forget my first comedy dismount :LOL: flat on my side infront of my mate who knew nothing abot bikes and spd's...he wondered what the hell i was on :LOL: :oops: and then when i showed him the spd's the bemused look of confusion and the inevitable question....why :?

They are brill though, you can really power up hill and down through twisty trails.

Would they be safe for riding when on roads aswell??

Oh yes! They were fist invented in 1895 :shock:

Took off in the mid 80's with the LOOK system used for roadbikes.

Andy B":2lck5cay said:
I won't tell you how long i took to do 24 miles :oops:

Training for a 50 mile charity ride (all on the bloody roads too, damn my roadie mates!) for the Grimsby branch of the Blue Cross in June!

If i did that now it would take me a week, so unfit lol

I'm a dedicated flattie user but i'd probably try clipins for a road bike (which i've still to get)

Same as you i tried SPD's BITD but gave up for the same reason, fell off too many times and just felt weird being solidly attached to the bike, i can see the advantage in climbing and bunny hops etc but in some situations (like a crash or when you need to bail) the last thing you need is a bike clipped to you also i remember something about some riders having problems with their knee's when using SPD's so i'd maybe watch out for that.

i got a feeling half the people will tell you they are great and you must have something wrong with you to not use them, half will say they are leathal.
imo if you can get used to them and cope with the occasional comedic mishap, they are far in a way more efficient for riding up hill.
my experience has led me to not use them for several reasons, not least of which i avoid riding up hill as much as possible ;)
other problems are spd shoes are a pain for walking round the shops, clipless pedals are a pian to ride without the right shoes (tho there are platforms available with a spd build in) the mechanism can get clogged with mud/sticks. and of course forgetting to twist your foot.
imo you should always unclip before going down hill or approaching a junction on the road, they are safe enough if you stick to that. tbh using toe clips can be just as much a problem (i dont use them either anymore.) its not so much that they cause accidents but they will make a small accident into a big one if you dont get your foot out intime.
cost wise to try out, you can pick up a set of old pedals for a fiver on ebay, depends on how you feel about used shoes in general for the other i guess. new spd shoes are like 30 quid min.
one specific warning, i have a pair of wtb steaths which have a slight design flaw, in that you can get clipped to the pedal but not in the mechanism properly and you have to twist in the opposite direction to get out. found that out the hard way lol

Iwasgoodonce":16u58wc4 said:
I have some Girvin ones that are spd compatible you can have to try for nowt. I go down your way a lot to see my parents etc. If you do get on with them you can upgrade to proper Shimano ones at your lesiure.
Give those girvins a try. Loosen the tension screws all the way and then tighten one or two clicks. Also dry lube them before each ride, your cleats will virtually fall out of the pedals. I have a few girvin pedals and teach newbies this way. After a while when they start to tighten them up, they feel like pros. :cool:

When you said about toe clips that brought back memory when i went over on to the roof of a parked car lol. Messed up the front wheel of my bike and left a big dent in the car. I crawled away as quick as i could.

SPD's

I have SPD's on both Roadies and my modern Stumpjumper but on all the old Stumpies they have shimano deore or xt flatties.
Havnt used flatties on a road bike for at least 12 years or so. Never would again either if given the choice and they are definately safe on the road. I remember riding a friends bike a couple of years ago with flatties and first thing I noticed was you cant seem to get the legs in the same rythem and definately couldnt climb or power away anywhere near as efficiently.
Have never had a problem on the road but have had the odd embarasing episode on the MTB.
I think when your tired and bonking that you get a hell of a lot further with spds than flatties, I dont know whether its because your in a rythem or whether it takes too much effort to unclip if you stop ;)
My roadies are used all the time with spd's and riding them nearly everyday you soon get used to it, but I find you dont have to unclip very much, especially compared to a MTB on a hilly course. I did around 30 - 40 miles this afternoon as I had to pick something up at the place where I work and only unclipped when I stopped at work and then when I rolled through the gate back at home.
Try them and see, especially if you can get some shoes to go with the ones mentioned above as that way your not investing too much.
My opinion is for the road, it cant be beaten
For the dirt, its a matter of taste I suppose, on rocky stuff I like to be able to dab a foot now and again.
Just remember to adjust the tension before you clip in.

Jamie

Back