Views please

JME":145jbzme said:
Harryburgundy":145jbzme said:
Russell....I give up, you clearly do not read my threads before responding to them.

The Boardman may or may not be a good bike...I don't know, I havn't ridden one or even seen one. It is, however, essentially a new brand 'engineered' by Halfords with the Boardman name slapped on it.
It is well-specced for the money BUT

If I had a grand going spare to buy a 'new' bike....I wouldn't buy brand new anything.

I would take my time and get a mint 2nd hander with a better frame and better spec.

Jeez....I take it you own a Boardman then :LOL:

i would have to agree having seen and ridden one you can get a lot more for a grand and i'll bet chris boardman has'nt even ridden one of these its like buying a ronnie o'sullivan snooker cue from argos over priced overated imho

The parts alone would be well over a G, so worth buying just for that, if you don't like the frame, sell it on, you won't be outa pocket either way!

the great roberto":38fas7gs said:
I like the comment about the frame being the weakest point, equivilant to a £300 one. Maybe so, but take a look at it. OK the proof is in the riding.

I have looked at them. We've had two of these in the shop for frame swaps after the driveside chainstays snapped. Both were less than 6 months old and neither had been abused.

Xesh":2fkcvlfe said:
the great roberto":2fkcvlfe said:
I like the comment about the frame being the weakest point, equivilant to a £300 one. Maybe so, but take a look at it. OK the proof is in the riding.

I have looked at them. We've had two of these in the shop for frame swaps after the driveside chainstays snapped. Both were less than 6 months old and neither had been abused.

Yup...thats what I had heard....also some problems with the BB shell.

Frame snap

Surely at 6 months old they would still be under warrranty? Or were the owners using tham down the rock steps at a trail centre? Some of the drop offs even on Red run trails are getting to be of the "abuse" catagory.

Re: Frame snap

Wold Ranger":1p10dmp8 said:
Surely at 6 months old they would still be under warrranty? Or were the owners using tham down the rock steps at a trail centre? Some of the drop offs even on Red run trails are getting to be of the "abuse" catagory.

There's not many extreme XC areas near me, the nearest being Penshurst.

One of them was seriously into XC riding and had raced his bike but the other only used it in dry weather and on the local cycle routes.

The owners lost a bit of confidence at having the frame snap but also in the attitudes of the Halfords staff.

Halfords

My local Halford guys are the muts nuts, they have done a lot of jobs for me for free and always helpful, why wasn't the frame warranty replaced?

Another anti-Halfords thread :roll:

Its a cracking bike for £1k. Awesome for £750 on ebay :shock:

Re: Halfords

Wold Ranger":1n7gg7do said:
...why wasn't the frame warranty replaced?

As far as I was told the Halfords guys were absolutely convinced that both bikes had been abused.

Maybe, in the case of the raced one that might have been true, but the other one? You only had to look at it and see that it had light use. The gravel covering they use on the local cycle paths is instantly recognisable by its colour. It's not found anywhere else around here so when a bike comes in covered with a grey dust it's obvious where it's been ridden. Apart from the dust the bike looked immaculate.

We did actually tell them to take it to Halfords for a warranty replacement but they said they weren't going there again.

The boss wasn't complaining though as he made two sales and he's now got two more regular customers.

ah that old warranty get out

i knew of a broken frame refused on the grounds of its " dirt jump seat angle " :roll:

i used to joke around that taking a mountain bike up a mountain was a warranty void :LOL:

Back