Views please

You know, its a sad day (and also rather indicative of the way that the 'retro' scene has gone unfortunately) when people are choosing bikes based on their re-sale value rather than how they ride.

In April last year, MBR reviewed six £1000 hardtails and the Boardman Pro won the test. I'm assuming that if the frame/ride was poor, they would have picked up on it? They gave it 10/10. (for reference, the Charge Duster that so many people here love recently got 7/10, and for balance... I own a Duster :LOL: ).

Slap a 'cooler' manufacturer decal on the side of the Boardman and you'd be paying over £1500 for this bike, in fact the spec of the Boardman is very similar, if not better than the Stumpjumper Expert (HT) and the '09 Expert is £1700. That's a lot of money to save for the sake of a little street cred.

This is sort of where my mate started off. Looking at £1500 bikes. I'd expect XT all round, but there was lots of none XT. And this was at £1500. Some makes like Whyte you needed to pay £2000 to get XT :(

So here we have £1000 with X9 and a bit of X0.And it sounds like the frame a'int that bad either.

As for re-sale value, surely those of us that bought 12 + years ago never intended to sell anyway.Just buy, ride and enjoy.Bugger the re-sale value.

ps How much for my Hardrock Ultra :?:

hey with the prices going up over the past few months XT is disappearing fast on bikes around £1500

XT is all over my GT.And I only paid £500 new.( But to be fair it did have a lot of LX on it when new)

And to be fair, apart from maybe weighing a liotle more the LX performs as well as XT. But, the XT looks better and faster ! :LOL:

You know, its a sad day (and also rather indicative of the way that the 'retro' scene has gone unfortunately) when people are choosing bikes based on their re-sale value rather than how they ride.

Obviously the re-sale value wouldn't take president over ride quality... :roll: and why on earth is it sad to even consider re-sale values. Common sense to me...the same common sense that would stop me buying any brand new bike at full retail.

It seems to me that a bike that holds its value is not necessarily the best performing bike. I buy bikes to ride, so performance is more important to me.

As far as re-sale value goes... have you actually done the maths?

If you buy the Specialized at £1700, and then sell it two years later for £900, you've effectively spent £800 on the bike.

If you buy the Boardman for £1000, and then sell it two years later for £200, you've effectively spent £800 on the bike.

I would guess that the Boardman would sell for more than £200 though, and I'm probably being generous saying that you'd get £900 for the Specialized. Re-sale value still look like a valid reason not to buy the Boardman?

Russell....I give up, you clearly do not read my threads before responding to them.

The Boardman may or may not be a good bike...I don't know, I havn't ridden one or even seen one. It is, however, essentially a new brand 'engineered' by Halfords with the Boardman name slapped on it.
It is well-specced for the money BUT

If I had a grand going spare to buy a 'new' bike....I wouldn't buy brand new anything.

I would take my time and get a mint 2nd hander with a better frame and better spec.

Jeez....I take it you own a Boardman then :LOL:

Harryburgundy":27jdz3y8 said:
Fecking daft to pay for anything brand spanking for a grand.....if he just rides xc etc.

£1K will get you fully loaded Ti or top drawer Specialized etc if you can be a bit patient.
HB
Thats a bit optimistic? A G for a fully loaded Hand welded Ti HT? even S/H think it would be as much again?
All the mags rate these and the parts alone are worth more than the swing tag price! You could buy it, break it to stick the frame on Ebay and equip another frame and be quids in!
2008 Stumpjumper M5 Pro in LBS less than a year old £750, thats a G lost in a year!

Wold Ranger":2p2ykao2 said:
Harryburgundy":2p2ykao2 said:
Fecking daft to pay for anything brand spanking for a grand.....if he just rides xc etc.

£1K will get you fully loaded Ti or top drawer Specialized etc if you can be a bit patient.
HB
Thats a bit optimistic? A G for a fully loaded Hand welded Ti HT? even S/H think it would be as much again?
All the mags rate these and the parts alone are worth more than the swing tag price!

Maybe a bit optimistic....but last year I bought (frame needed for a friend) a Litespeed Tanasi with full XTR, Crossmax wheels, Reba (I think) forks and a few other nice bits for a shade over £1100. It was all in great condition too.

Harryburgundy":389wur9h said:
Russell....I give up, you clearly do not read my threads before responding to them.

The Boardman may or may not be a good bike...I don't know, I havn't ridden one or even seen one. It is, however, essentially a new brand 'engineered' by Halfords with the Boardman name slapped on it.
It is well-specced for the money BUT

If I had a grand going spare to buy a 'new' bike....I wouldn't buy brand new anything.

I would take my time and get a mint 2nd hander with a better frame and better spec.

Jeez....I take it you own a Boardman then :LOL:

i would have to agree having seen and ridden one you can get a lot more for a grand and i'll bet chris boardman has'nt even ridden one of these its like buying a ronnie o'sullivan snooker cue from argos over priced overated imho

Back