Freecycle comes up trumps...

GarethPJ

Retro Guru
I'd been trawling ebay for a cheap commuter for a while, and by cheap I mean almost free since I've got no cash so I was having no luck. Then I saw an offer on Feecycle of a "Dawes bike with drop handlebars" and that was all. I asked for it and got it. I wasn't expecting much, but it turned out to be a Dawes Sterling in pretty good nick. The only immediately apparent problem was the guards were trashed, but I've had a set in the garage for years.

Having got it home and given it a proper look over I noticed the following. The tyres are, as always, cracked. The brake blocks need renewing. The rear wheel is a solid axled replacement with a wide rim, the usual cheap "hybrid" job.

Other than that I can't complain about a free bike built from a reasonable tubeset (Reynolds 500) a workmanlike group (Altus - it's no Dura Ace but it's ideal for commuting) and complete with rack, panniers and lock.

So I need a pair of tyres and a set of brake blocks and at some point in the future a new back wheel. I'd probably ending up having to do at least as much on something I got cheap from ebay so I'm a happy bunny.

Anybody got a half decent 700c rear wheel going spare?

Definitely 700c and it is a sweet bike. I must say it's got me thinking about touring for the first time in years.

Sterlings are great, aren't they? I love their fancy lugwork.
Will raid the parts bin to see what I have for you.

Brake box

I have a set of brake blocks for it I am sure. I will double check in the morning, but I'm sure I seen a shimano packet in a box the other day.
If I find them there yours for the Karma.
Will check in the morning.
Jamie

Brake shoes

Hi mate
Found the shoes. They are in a shimano packet and say they are M system compatible.
To fit: BR- 1055/A550/A500/A416/A410/4400/3300 caliper brakes
They are the shoe with the female fitting in the back of them and then the bolt attaches to the back of the shoe.
Probably not describing them right but they tend to fit most of the old bolt in blocks.

Will stick a pic up once i get a battery for the camera.

Jamie

Back