Views please

if he wants the latest he will be disappointed in about 4 or 5 months when the 2010 stuff is available

Boardman is only helping design the bikes and putting his name to them. And enjoying the fruits of the licensing and consultancy fee! It is still Halfords behind them and the factory they are using for the majority of bikes isn't one of the big players. The quality ain't bad but its not up there with the big factorys

Just like buying from PC World :LOL: Some place for the clueless or your Grandma who insists because they are a big name. Tell him to look online, its probably going to be cheaper so you get more for you grand.

(re Halfords, not boardman bikes)

quick look
Merlin Malt 1 - Full XT groupset, Reba Race Mavic/RaceFace can be had for £1007 from Merlin.

No idea how it compares, but probably more streetcred

Oh come on guys, how many of you have actually ridden one of these bikes or have any informed knowledge about Boardman bikes? Seems to me that the views here are based on ignorant pre-conceptions about Halfords rather than any objective experience based information.

Every review I've seen of Boardman bikes, be they road or MTB, has come up with the same conclusion... that these are well specced, well riding bikes at extremely good value for money. They consistently get top marks in the cycling press and a quick scan of internet reviews by actual users of them seems to be full of nothing but glowing comments.

OK, Halfords isn't the best bike store in the world, but you would have to be a fool to disregard Boardman bikes just because of the association with them.

i have ridden a boardman and it rode better than my gt avalanche expert
and my old carrera was a good solid bike once the shifting was set up

rob

Oh come on guys, how many of you have actually ridden one of these bikes or have any informed knowledge about Boardman bikes?

I have nothing against them as such......I think they have had QC problems as I know someone who worked in Halfords. With that in mind I personally would spend a grand on a nearly new mint condition high spec bike from a well known, well respected frame manufacturer......plenty of such bikes on Ebay etc.
I also consider re-sale....I figure a Boardman will lose more money than say a Specialized.

WOW
I thought this would be about the bike rather than Halfords. ;)

But maybe the two are linked. If Boardman was selling via another chain would that make it more cred ? (unless the chain was ASDA).

A lot of the reports like the bike. You can't argue with the bike, so it must be down to the frame being any good.

Maybe i should buy on cheap and put the bits on my hardrock ultra :LOL:
Anyway, i can't as the forks will not fit, so that the end of that !

It is very easy these days as a standard has been set by many designers. I have worked with manufacturers whom will buy for example a Giant ship it to the factory they use disect it tweak it and produce a copy. It is common place now. For example GT Schwinn and Mongoose are all owned by The Pacific group. Kenisis manufacture for pacific so show the designers " Look we are producing these tubeset extrusions etc you can work with." Kenisis build for many other companys as well as themselves. I have nothing against the boardman bikes it is just another generic product branded and built to a price point to sell. How many of us own something a little more than run of the mill? It comes down to a individual choice in the end of what you want for your money! Nowt wrong with that.

Back