Are v brakes supposed to stop you dead??

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
V brake virgin.

I built my son a bike up and test rode it yesterday. The V brakes stoped me dead in my tracks, I nearly fell of. I did not expect that I'm more used to canti. Is this how it's supposed to be??

Thanks

Yes, cantis look good but aren't as effective as V's, discs are sharper than V's and better in the wet/gloop.

Marvel":3on3xhku said:
Are you using V brakes with cantilever type levers? If you are they will be a bit sharp.
I was wondering the same. The use of cantilever brakelevers with v-brakes is not really recommended. Then it will be brake or not brake, not something in between.
(Correct me if I'm wrong) the canti-brakelever pulls more cable than a v-lever. That explains the sudden stopping of the v-brake.

canti pull less , on my levers anyway , the settings for V , is lower than canti , so it must pull more cable .

V's are a revalation after cantis for sure, its a leverage thing. The way the cable runs you need to pull a lot of cable to get movement at the pads so you have a lot of power and modulation as well. If you have canti brake levers then thee pull less cable than V levers and will exagerate the leverage leading to very squishy brakes that pitch you over the bars.

Back