Views please

All I can say about these bikes is: Nice spec shame about the frame.

They have a frame on them that's only marginally better than that found on some £300 bikes. All the money has gone into the parts instead of the frame which, imo, is the wrong way to do it.

Well that got some of you going. :D

Clearly he will need to ride it . Ideally over a week end, but I doubt if that'll happen.

What struck me is the spec on this bike. There is little real scope to upgrade. The forks are good, the X-0 rear mech is good , even the brakes. The only Shimano is the chain.

I like the comment about the frame being the weakest point, equivilant to a £300 one. Maybe so, but take a look at it. OK the proof is in the riding.

For those who haven't seen it should take a look..........

My mate is not a retro sort of bloke. His idea of retro is last years 'phone, or an Ipod with only 16Gb of memory. He was looking at £2000-£1500 bikes (specialized, whyte....) and that's why only spending a grand appears to make sence :D

And, if he wasn't so much of a short arse, he could have one of the large frame versions on Ebay for £750 (brand new).

Now , how about that spec for £750 ?

Crell":lca8d5f5 said:
What's with all this brand and retailer snobbery?
I'm no snob. But I don't think £1000 is an appropriate price for something mass produced and anonymous like a Boardman. I'd say the same about a new Giant/Trek/Fisher/whatever.
Like HarryBurgundy says, £1000 would get you something that was really top drawer if you were careful.

i've seen semi new (mint condition)scott scales with full xtr go for a grand (buy it now) on ebay
HALFORDS SELL CRAP!!!!!!!
although i have to admit i once bought a chain tool from halfords :oops:
and it was crap :LOL:

It's a lot of bike for the cash, but if you could get last year's Scott Scale 30 for around the same and I know which one I'd rather have - and I don't like plastic bikes.

good frame,good spec,it will last,and halfords also sell konas etc so dont just sell kids and cheap tat.theyve been going for donkeys of years and to many a local bike shop.

as pickle says chris wouldnt put his name to shit. :D

And for the Euro-zone members here, with the current exchange rates this is one heck of a deal indeed.

Intresting point about Halfords being many peoples LBS.
How many LBS's are open 'till * every night to get those bits you forgot to get in their "real" LBS or internet. I know I have used them quite a few times.
OK, so they don't stock too many 8 speed XT cassettes , or IG70 chain, but if pushed, they do sell SRAM 8 speed chain and some sort of 8 speed cassette.(I'd need to be despirate to get them though !)

I'm not sure if Boardman selling his bikes through Halfords is helping or not.(dare say it's helping him)

On one hand he has a major distributer that many will see as a LBS.However, snob value will say that because Halfords are selling them , they can't be taken seriously.

As other have noted, great spec for teh money on a new bike.And yes, a grand in the secondhand/one careful owner market buys one hell of a ride. For me, I'd be looking for last years deal or teh one careful owner who's lost intrest and needs the cash. For my mate, he wants the latest gear............

Latest posts

Back