A question about an old road bike up for grabs

losidan

Senior Retro Guru
there is a second hand shop near me with a few bikes in. one i spotted is a black framed job (no stickers) but i clocked it is running shimano 105....probably late eighties with front and rear mech and index shifters (mounted on down tube) Wheels just look like cheapo steel 36 spoker jobs. Tis for grabs at sixty notes.

I've been thinking about buying it and knocking it up into a fixie...i was wondering if old 105 stuff is worth a few quid...ie the mechs and shifters?

Just had a rummage around and I wonder if it is something like a Raleigh Triathlon

Nah - old Shimano (unless it's really old) isn't worth much. The exception being 7,8 or 9 speed STI levers. Campag stuff is always worth more.

interest is stirring in early Dura Ace and the enclosed jockey wheel 105/ 600 mechs but not much else.

A good time to invest then maybe - while demand is low...

Having said that, I'm not sure 105 will ever command big bucks. Ultegra/600 at least, I would expect.

If the frame is 531 throught (inc. fork legs) with nice lugs, then 60 squid is probably OK for the frame alone...depends who made it as well. Not all old frames look great as fixies - I prefer older frames so that when all the gear stuff is stripped, you don't have redundant bits sticking out like shifter bosses.

I agree with the others about 105 - I've got a full 1989 groupset lying in a carrier bag in the garage - can't even be bothered eBaying it...

You'd only be using the brakes and crankset anyhow. 105 BBs are crap so would probably need replacing...

what frame is it then ?

Back