Question about singlspeed

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
As usual I am going to show my ignorance here, but why singlespeeding?

I mean I can understand the 'purist' thing - minimalism etc - but how practical are they? It's just the singlespeeders I come across always seem to not be in the gear they need to be in!!

How do you use one practically unless you commute, say, on the flat...

Sorry again for my ignorance :D

I find as long as you know where you are going, it can work quite well.

Also ideal when riding with people who may be a little slower than you too, as it means you still get a workout.
No gears to clean and get clogged is pretty handy, but most of all....

its lighter!!! :D

I use mine to commute , but it is also nice in singletracks as , you dont have to worry about changing gears

There are many and various reasons why, these are mine.

I like the simplicity of things, not much to go wrong when you're running just one gear, no chain jumping and skipping as you try to cross that muddy trail, no chain slap.. just silence, also the lines of the bike are are clean, no shifters, no front and rear mech, cassette and no extra cables.

And then there's the fitness side of things, you've got to spin at a high cadence on the flats if you want to do a decent speed and when you get to any decent hills it's out of the saddle and pumping on those pedals, it really works the legs, arms and upper body! It becomes a challenge to get up tough hills. OK, it's been said that you're in the right gear only for a small percentage of the time but I've found that that doesn't bother me.

I was a sceptic at first but I gave it a try and within a few rides I was hooked and really enjoying it.

Give it a go...

I use my singlespeed bikes most of the time, might be worth getting a flip-flop rear hub and putting 16 and 18 tooth freewheels on it, gives you a bit more choice in gearing :D

Stu

On top of all the above (simplicity/low maintenance being the key for me) also great to never have to consider what gear you're in, either you can ride it or walk (without embarraessment).

Not better or worse than gears, just different.

ss rules!

if i make it to the top of the hill first im a cycling god.
if im the last one up the hill, hey! im on single speed.

Latest posts

Back