Carbon Fork on steel frame?

Inigo Montoya

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
hi rodies,
i planing to build my 1996 brodie rodie steel frame in the next weeks. will mostly go for current components because i plan to use it regularly as main ride. i have not yet decided on the forks. should i stick with the old alloy fork or should i buy a carbon road fork? what would you recommend?

I had an old Time Carbon for on an even older Motobicane - made a hell of a difference to the ride.

Thats my small experience....

chris667":255wmn9p said:
Steel is dependable and cheap.
sure, thats why i chose that frame. but the original fork is alloy i.e. very stiff. i have never ridden a road bike so i don't know which way to go.

carbon forks have a little more shock absorbtion to them, they seem to soak up vibration

With steel forks, the rake acts as the shock/ vibration absorber.

Alu forks can be very very unforgiving.

I'm in a similar position on two road bikes I'm having repainted. I am having one of the bikes original chromoly fork painted also but think in the end I'm going to wind up with carbon forks on both. Seems like it's getting increasingly tougher to find nice 1" carbon period correct forks though. They have been getting grabbed up the past few years and the selection is thinner.

Yes, it's hard to find a 1" steerer carbon fork. Usually they have Alu or steel steerers, this may be because a carbon steerer in the thinner diameter is getting a bit marginal.

Latest posts

Back