1994 Roberts Genesis. Updated 19/04/09, loads of pics page 2

Jez, if your keen I have a few bits of white outer cable left if you fancy it for the Dogs.

Re: Roberts Genesis 1994.

andrewl":3uurjma3 said:
JeRkY":3uurjma3 said:
Between psychlist, Jez and myself I think we have the Roberts MTB range covered :)

Roberts of the month comp?

UK custom/handmade of the month! lets get some yates in too :)

Thanks for your PM pointing me at this thread, JeRkY. The Genesis is looking good. Seeing it with a clean white finish takes me back and brings a tear to my eye (I am the original owner of the frame). It's great that you are restoring it. Something I always planned to do, but never got around to.

The Genesis, as mentioned above, was the entry-level model. That particular one was custom built. The tubing is a mixture of 531 ATB and Columbus OR. At the time OR was the no-frills offering from Columbus. Though 'no-frills' in the Italian firm's catalogue wasn't a bad thing, as OR was a direct competitor for 531 ATB. I don't know which tubes are what, but I did ask for the frame to be stiff, so I guess the configuration reflects that as it certainly is.

Aside from the quality of the tubes, the Genesis used a cast BB shell. Apparently, they are cheaper to build with than the fillet brazed alternative - the standard on the DB and WS. I remember Chas telling me at the time that a cast/lugged BB is a stronger and a little stiffer that the filleted version. Unfortunately, not as beautiful.

I can well recall the day I went to be measured for that frame. The shop was tiny and stacked with loads of examples of the different frames that were available. There was an unlacquered nickel plated White Spider that has particularly stuck in my mind. It was no fancy product display, mind. More a cacophony of frames, many of which had a layer of dusty dirt that I imagine came from the workshop out the back. It was definitely more 'manufacturing' than 'retail' in there. I hope they are still at the same premises and have not felt the need to gentrify the place.

As far as the Robert's range went in '94, the DB was at the top. It was made from a blend of 753, Columbus Nivacrom and Nivacrom MAX. If my memory is correct (and that goes for most the info in this post!), the top tube of the DB was a the MAX down tube from the road version of the tubeset. Along with the highly exotic tubes, it also had that beautiful and expensive wishbone stay. I think, the lower section was made from cut down 753 road stays. The aim being to reduce weight and increase compliance while maintaining the stiffness required to keep the rear canti working properly.

You may already be aware, but MAX was (I think) the first tube to be flared and ovalised. The great thing was that the manipulation was done during the drawing process, not by bashing and squashing it after.

Next in line was the White Spider was generally built with a mix of 753 and Nivacrom OR. As the post above says, these 2 bikes were custom, so differences in design, tubes used and geometry exist.

Ramble over and back to the topic - JeRkY's build. Many of those items featured on the original spec sheet. I originally fitted a white perforated Flite. I think a Flight would be a nice touch. Or perhaps a white spoon?

A lovely bike. I don't remember the Genesis from that time.

My memory of the WS, DB difference was (additonally to what has been said) the DB had a monostay. After discussion with Chas Roberts, my bike (see other thread) was built with a DB front triangle and WS rear to soften the ride a bit. I may be mistaken.

nice to hear from the original owner.

the rear end of the dog's certainly does look the dog's

Very smart looking bike JeRkY.
I'd stick with the tan saddle, though brown grips might be a bit overkill.
If you ever fancy a change and have the inclination, don't be shy about fitting a bit of Campy...a white Roberts wearing Record/Icarus can't be beat.
Sorry, just my little fantasy, -she's lovely as she is. :D

Back