al

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi,

Anyone on here know anything about mercedes Coupes W114 W115?

I would like to know what to look for ie rust traps, spares availability etc ?

Just mulling over the idea of buying one to play with!! So please help if you can.

Al. :D

Like all Mercs they rust everywhere. Check along length of outer sill on lower edge. Worst spot is along length of bulkhead below heater box and into inner front wheel housings below the scuttle. Any sign of rust here just walk away. Rear wheel arch inner and outer are prone as is floorpan under rear seat bases. Cost of panels is very high and they are difficult to repair properly- buy only the best unless you want to spend £££££
mechanicaly it's a little better. If well looked after they will last for ever, check for a good service history and you should be fine. Engines can start to use a little oil if neglected, transmissions last for ever but being a heavy car suspension can wear- check tyres for even wear, if not it needs bushes etc.
Trim is hardwearing and very well screwed together so little to worry about.
Parts are available for just about everything but are very expensive, so be careful!
in short, buy the best you can afford and look after it and it will look after you. Don't try to do it on the cheap or it will just bite you big time.

Si

OK! stick with Wolwos,Audi's and VWs then! :LOL:

I was warned about rust around the skuttle/bulkhead as a mate was, shall we say turned over once!!

Thanks for the other info.

Now what do you know about Skoda 110 1000m etc.... how easy for a larger motor swap?

buy the best you can afford and look after it and it will look after you. Don't try to do it on the cheap or it will just bite you big time

I have a mint 82 W123 saloon that is pampered beyond words. Luckily it was in a mint state when I inherited it and I intend to keep it that way! Starting from good means a lot less work and a lot less money!

Yes, buying a good one as a base is always a good idea. Although the budget i had in mind will not run to a minter!!

So i will need to play the waiting game,you never know what may turn up?

al":3a1n5jse said:
OK! stick with Wolwos,Audi's and VWs then! :LOL:

I was warned about rust around the skuttle/bulkhead as a mate was, shall we say turned over once!!

Thanks for the other info.

Now what do you know about Skoda 110 1000m etc.... how easy for a larger motor swap?

Pete Shelley is your man for rear engined Skoda's and parts. He kept our rally 120 in panels for two seasons (we were 1300 British Historic class champions in 2005-06). They are pretty shonky TBH, rust prone, cheaply built but with some great engineering. Once we had our car sorted it was very reliable and the handling was as good as a well sorted 911. The engine was pretty unburstable too, 100bhp per litre was easily found and they will rev to 7600-7800rpm if built with care. To sum up, would make a better comp car than road car TBH. Engine swap? I think Subaru flat 4 turbos have been fitted but why bother?
Anything else you fancy?

Si

I've had 3 W115's (all diesel) and they were pretty affordable in Holland a while ago, the coupe's tend to cost double the price of a sedan and are only available in petrol. Rust is an issue, but hey wich car over 35 years old doesn't have rust issues :roll:
Merc's are very well build, mostly a bit on the lazy and comfortable side of the spectrum...... wich I like on longer trips.
At the moment I ride a 1967 Fintail (W110) 200 Diesel and I'm happy with it. Have to fight the rust devil every once in a while but it took me to the North cape twice (in Winter ;) ) and never let me down in many many miles (big fingers crossed now here :D )
Just wait and see what pops up but don't focus too much on the Coupe's

Attachments

• merc.jpg
    merc.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,219
Oooooh - I had 3 x W126

1983 500 SEC AMG in Indian Gold.... rust rust rust rust but would top out at its book speed of 160mph for a car that cost me £1450...

1989 560 SEL - 3rd owner, it had only ever seen wool business suits, would eat anything at the lights with 300 BHP through one back wheel. Reclining rear seat was £9,000 option - should never have sold it.

1991 560 SEC - worst annoying git I'd owned - over heating pampered shit bag of a motor - loved every minute

My uncle has two 560 SECs and he loves them. They are beasts. One has over 250,000 on it.

He's after a right hand drive one if anyone sees one ...

I must say you all have great taste!

Well Si, what do you know about Volvo 144 /164 ? How tunable on a budget is the B20 egine. Is it just a case of huuuge carbs?

As you can see i am itching for a new project.

Back