Roberts White Spider - unchanged since built for me in '94

psychlist

Devout Dirtbag
I've just joined and thought I would show a truly original bike which is (grips excepted!) exactly as I had it built for me by Chas Roberts in 1994. I raced it a couple of times then had to slow down. I used it recreationally and for commuting then it was put into storage - I've just dug it out as I need to decide what to do with it.

It cost a small fortune at the time - Royce BB, Middleburn cranks, Hope titanium hubs, blue widgets everywhere (I didn't like purple!).. Even the Smoke/Dart tyres are what was fitted originally! Anyone recognise the pedals? The rubber bungy forks must have had all of 2" travel on a really hot day!

I wanted something a little less harsh than the Dogz Bollx so Chas made the Columbus steel main triangle from a Bollx and the rear from a White Spider - it feels stunning to ride - something we just don't experience any more on ally frames and full sussers. I remember telling Chas at the time that it felt as if it was pedalling itself. Anyway, I'm into road cycling now :roll: .

P4073440.jpg

P4073442.jpg

P4073445.jpg

P4073450.jpg

P4073447.jpg

P4073451.jpg

P4073452.jpg

Stunning!

My Genesis is itchingly close to completion, its custom but not as custom as yours!

Thanks for all the kind comments - I tried to put as much British gear on it as I could at the time - even the chainrings are Brit made, but I can't remeber the make - they may have been Middlleburn as well.

I was never sure if the X-Lite and Pace stuff was UK made or made abroad and imported. The X-Lite seat post is just a stunner - so beautifully engineered and very light.

Very nice - get it in BoTM pronto! Is that a Reoberts stem? Would like to see a close up if possible...

Mr K

Yes it is a Roberts stem - I'll take pic.

I chose the silver becase at that time they had a concept bike in the shop which had been built as light as possible. It was unpainted steel, polished and lacquered - it looked gorgeous - obviously you could see the fillet brazed joints - the bike was very light (maybe 17 or 18lbs I think). Unfortunately the shop was ramraided and that bike stolen. Anyway, I asked Chas to recreate the effect with paint rather than having bare lacqurered steel - hence the colour!

Chainrings are Pace.

My Dave Yates was originally that colour, based around a similar line of thought.

And Spec-wise?
Stem made by frame builder.
Hope Hubs
Middleburn chainset
Royce BB?
X-Lite ski bends?

Separated at birth methinks.
Even used to have Pace rings on the original RS1 chainset until I put and RS3 on.....

Can't really fault your taste old chap.

Back