New Craigslist find $80 bucks (KLEIN QUANT CONTENT w/ pics)

bwhsh8r

Retro Guru
Its a 98 quantum pro (i think), it has very very few knicks in hte paint or anything, i expected it to be beat up for this price. I bought it in a dq parking lot lol.

what do you guys think of my find/ how should i build it up, im kind of thinking fixed gear (never been a fixie/singlespeed rider because i believe fully in gears, but i think fixie would be a good training tool)

anyone have any info / suggestions, ive picked up its something around a 1998 frame, and im a broke college student so, those are my requirements, idc if the parts are retro, im thinking about dumping $$ into the wheelset and cranks mostly. what do you think of the frame, i cant find much info on what i am currently refering to as "piss yellow klein" was it a custom colour or am i just being stupid?

IMGSHACK gallery

http://img23.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=0406092117.jpg

Re: New Craigslist find $80 bucks (KLEIN QUANT CONTENT w/ pi

chris667":nhnfow7x said:
bwhsh8r":nhnfow7x said:
I bought it in a dq parking lot lol.
Do you mean you think it was stolen?

probably not, he gave me his phone # and offered to let me pick it up at his house, i just suggested the dq because i knew where it was, I probably should have been clearer in saying that it was my fault we wound up there.

id post up the serial # but i left it at a friends house (I may have gotten into a car accident the other day, and i MAY owe my dad some money :oops: i just couldnt resist :twisted:; i can post it later this week though.

Its in columbus ohio if that helps at all?

Fair enough. :cool:
It won't be a good fixed gear candidate unless you use one of the beautiful but ludicrously expensive ENO eccentric hubs, which on its own will cost more than the bike. Wrong sort of dropouts.
I'd put a wanted ad up here for bits to build it up with.

i could use a paul chain tensioner as well, but im figuring that i was stupid to ever consider this for a fixie, because i mean come on, it has internal cable routing and everything, i figure theyll look stuuuupid without the cables :)

& im pretty sure that its a 97 not a 98, and it doesnt have those stupid pressed in bottom brackets

do you think i got a good deal, and what components should i shoot for, campy shimano or sram

You can't use a tensioner with fixed gear, unfortunately.
If you wanted to run it singlespeed, though, you would need front and rear brakes.
Shimano if you want to build it with original stuff.

chris667":2njf052b said:
If you wanted to run it singlespeed, though, you would need front and rear brakes.

hahah i was thinking about that like hmm. Ill probably go shimano then, but theres one concern with that steerer, like, it has all that metal showing, does it need spacers??? :oops: (i feel so daft for even asking that, but the mc whatever headset is confusing!!)

bwhsh8r":278xfpm5 said:
chris667":278xfpm5 said:

hahah i was thinking about that like hmm. Ill probably go shimano then, but theres one concern with that steerer, like, it has all that metal showing, does it need spacers??? :oops: (i feel so daft for even asking that, but the mc whatever headset is confusing!!)
I'm only viewing these pictures on a little screen, so I can't really tell from your pictures.
It looks to me like you need a headset and spacers to build that up, or to cut the steerer. But don't do that, you'll never be able to raise the bars.

you can't, its got kleins proprietary headset already in it (their air-headset + their mc2 or 3 forks, theyre like 1 1/4 or something, but theyre proprietary, the headset is nothing like anything ive ever seen before, nether is the steerer tube, ill take better pictures tonight (as im finally bring it home to show the 'rents)

i should also be able to date it from the serial # i think

p.s. sorry about the crap pics, i took em from a LG chocolate 2 from verizon so... not the best. :)

p.s. thanks chris, you've been a great help thus far :cool:

Back