Which Modern Tyre?

I prefer Racing Ralphs to Nobby Nics although both are prone to puncture unless run tubeless. I also have some Kenda Nevegals which are grippy but a bit heavy and some neat Ritchey Z-Max Milleniums with a turquoise band :cool:

If I could only have one pair of tyres it'd be Racin Ralphs

I'm currently running Kenda Nevegal 2.5 Stick-E Tomac's which grip like buggery but are heavy and roll really slow. I'd bought them for the Klunker (marker penned out the Logos) but put them on the Cotic to get it rolling. They are blunting the performance somewhat. I had a look at Nobbies and Mountain Kings today but couldn't decide. Now I have Racing Ralphs in the mix. Can't even toss a coin for it now.

Si

Anyone used High Rollers? They look grippy, but slow, thats before you get to all the options. :?

P20":218niymr said:
Anyone used High Rollers? They look grippy, but slow, thats before you get to all the options. :?

If you like, I've got a pair of High rollers in the shed. They're basically new and real soft. They suck up tarmac and don't roll fast. Apparently they are the tires to have of you go downhill. Unfortunately, I had to pedal up the alps so I stayed with the IRC's

Dr S":1v4iksws said:
Now I have Racing Ralphs in the mix. Si

If you are looking at Racing Ralphs then you should consider the Panaracer Razor MX PR. They have all the benefits of a fast rollling summer tyre but are puncture resistant.

P20":1rdmdrsw said:

I ran them on my 575. Fantastic going down but like riding with the brakes on going anywhere else. I swapped them for Bonty's and Supersonic tubes and saved a pound at each end! Wear rates were very good too, just couldn't wear the damn things out.

Si

P20":3r1kaj04 said:

I've used a pair on my RM Blizzard, 42A on the front and 60A on the rear.
Like everyone else says, as slow and draggy as hell but I found them ok on slatey, rocky stuff run at about 25psi.
They don't clear well in peat and loam conditions and even the single ply version is heavy. I did try running the rear one in the reverse direction and it did improve the climbing in muddy conditions a bit (but then they're not mud tyres) but made it even draggier on hard pack going.
For long, rocky alpine descents they'd probably be good, but too draggy if you have to do much climbing.....

Andy R":ur82q4y7 said:
P20":ur82q4y7 said:

I've used a pair on my RM Blizzard, 42A on the front and 60A on the rear.
Like everyone else says, as slow and draggy as hell but I found them ok on slatey, rocky stuff run at about 25psi.
They don't clear well in peat and loam conditions and even the single ply version is heavy. I did try running the rear one in the reverse direction and it did improve the climbing in muddy conditions a bit (but then they're not mud tyres) but made it even draggier on hard pack going.
For long, rocky alpine descents they'd probably be good, but too draggy if you have to do much climbing.....

I would agree on the 2.3 High Rollers (tried them and it felt like I was trying to pedal a Massey Fergusson), but the 2.1's are awesome! I run them pumped up pretty hard (45-50psi) and they are honestly some of the best tyres I've ever ridden. Great in all condidtions and rarely seem to let go, even in wet rooty conditions in the local woods. The 2.1's are reasonably light too (unlike the 2.3's)!

winter/wet = racing ralph front and nobby nic rear

summer/dry = racing ralph front and furious fred rear

I opted for the Continental Mountain King Supersonics in 2.4 flava in the end with a Stans tubeless kit. I like a nice wide tyre and looking around the net the general thinking is that the 2.4 is more like a 2.2 when fitted. Will let you know how I get on with them.
Having never gone tubeless before- whats the thinking behind it, does it make a dfferance to performance and punctures or is it just marketing bollocks? What are they like to fit?

cheers
Si

Back