First build - Kona Cindercone SS

Pfennig

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
my first build.. a 98 Kona Cindercone obtained from Orange71 at the back end of last year. I have been lurking on the forum picking up bits since. Finally got it together yesterday!

Frame: '98 Kona Cindercone

Fork: Project 2

Headset: Cane Creek
Stem: Control Tech
Handlebar: Race Face Evolve XC
Grips: Onza clear

Brakes and levers: Avid 3 digit

Cassette: Surly SS
Chain: KMC SS chain
Cranks: Shimano LX
Chainrings: whatever was laying around....
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN54
Pedals: DMR V8

Hub Skewers:
Rims: Mavic 220
Hubs: Shimano LX
Tyres: Kona Gravy and Lumpy

Saddle: Selle Italia Expedia
Seatpost: Kona

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 2,869
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 2,869
Nice.. I really like the deep purple colour. Didn't Kona call it Egg Plant or something? Looks like you need some tension in the chain though?

It just needs something to balance the stem.. maybe a red saddle?

:D

Eggplant, thats the colour, and the clean lines were what I was aiming for :) I agree about something else red to go with the stem. Originally I had a black controltech stem to go on instead of the red but it seemed a bit too dark... am on the lookout for a red saddle now!

The ratio is 32/16, pretty standard! Was hoping to try doing without a tensioner but will have to see how the initial chain stretch affects it all. At the moment it doesn't jump off the chainring so am hopeful

Nice :cool: , you may find you are ok without a tensioner, running the exact same gearing on my Orange E3 without a tensioner and it's been fine, sometimes you can be lucky with chainstay length, using a standard shimano chain for now but was going to replace it with a stronger SS one.

Agree about the red bits, the stem is fine and ties in with the decals but needs something else to balance it out, if not the sadle maybe a red chainring and Qr's ?

it rides great! so light and easy to throw about, exactly what i imagined a SS should be like, Although its gonna be an education for my poor legs

thanks for the ideas on more red guys, will have a think and see what pops up on the for sale section of the forum in he near future. Either way, i'm happy that it looks ok as it is and i don't think a SS necessarily needs to look perfect! :LOL:

Back