1991 Orange Clockwork 'Formula' **NOW FINISHED**

doctor-bond":1l1vwgsc said:
I've often pondered the 'light frame lasting a season' question: my stumpie is tange prestige but has lugs and has taken abuse for donkeys years.
I've also heard that frames with short head tubes are prone to cracks as there is less to resist the leverage of the fork.
There is a custom (mountain) bike on here somewhere that was built of Columbus genius and seems to have stood the test of time.
Maybe the rigours of on the limit "ten tenths" racing are far more than the - say - "seven tenths" use of a recreational rider over a number of years?
But one question is, do frames that fail do so because of being too weak to cope with general riding-along stresses or because of crash damage (even if the crash was in the past and the breakage was a delayed-action)?

I would have thought that a frame that was too light to be strong enough to race without breaking it, would also be so light that it would be too lacking in stiffness to be a fast racer. Just a guess though, I've never seen any figures to prove it or disprove it.

i have finally got the bike back together now and i think it has come out pretty good i got the decals from gil m and are spot on to how they were on the formula so a big thanks to gil . All the parts that i had left that were once fitted to my formula have worked spot on .
Brakelevers - Campagnolo
Gearlevers - Deore XT Thumbies
Headset - Mavic
Brakes - XTR M900 Cantis
R/Mech - Mavic
F/Mech - XTR M900
Cranks - Mavic
Rims - Campagnolo Contax
Hubs - Pace RC-50
Stem/Bars - Orange Formula 1-Piece
Here are some finished photo's and some of how the Formula was

Attachments

• DSC01199.JPG
    DSC01199.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,726
  • DSC01200.JPG
    DSC01200.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,726
  • scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 1,726
  • scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 1,726
That look's stunning :cool: , top job.

I'd cut off a vital body part for that bar/stem combo, blunt, rusty blade and no anasthetic :)

Hi Dan,

I remember your formula, went out for a ride with you a couple of times, with my mate who also had an Orange.
Stunning build, good job! :D
How's Ben?

Back