Merlin XLM

Very nice mate :cool: I've got a '96 Merlin Mountain myself and yep, they ride as well as they look.

Happy trails!

Thanks for the supportive comments guys, looking forward to riding it but will possibly savour it a bit longer as it'll never be this pristine again.

I've got some XT thumbies on the way to replace the Deores currently fitted plus some XTR spds to replace the featherweight Ritcheys.

As above, just need to look out for some RC30s (have been offered a very long steerer so will be after legs and crown and sell the RC36s if anyone is interested!).

Grrr, I'm kind of wishing I hadn't sold it now. But on the other hand I don't think I'm ready to settle down and give it the sort of commitment it needs...

Simon":3lp5sc7v said:
Grrr, I'm kind of wishing I hadn't sold it now. But on the other hand I don't think I'm ready to settle down and give it the sort of commitment it needs...

I am surprised that you sold it, thought it was a bike for life. The only way I'd let mine go would be to replace it with an equivalent year XLM and even then I'm not sure if I could part with it.

Having said that you should never say never... :)

Still, it looks as though it's found a good home. What size is it though? Have you got any seatpost left in the frame?! :shock:

I am surprised that you sold it, thought it was a bike for life. The only way I'd let mine go would be to replace it with an equivalent year XLM and even then I'm not sure if I could part with it.

I sold it because it was hardly getting ridden, so I'd rather put the money in a nice Audax / commuter bike. And whilst I'd probably struggle to get another one, I'd probably buy a custom Indy Fab. Oh, and I've got a bit of love for the Singlespeed side of things, and disc brakes....

Simon":1fr6pogc said:
I sold it because it was hardly getting ridden, so I'd rather put the money in a nice Audax / commuter bike. And whilst I'd probably struggle to get another one, I'd probably buy a custom Indy Fab. Oh, and I've got a bit of love for the Singlespeed side of things, and disc brakes....

Fair play fella, nice that someone else is enjoying it now.

It's funny you should say that about singlespeeding as that's what I've mainly been riding for the past 6 months or so. Not too bothered about discs ATM really. I'm using V's and ceramic rims and whilst not as good as discs in the gloop they're still pretty good, although of course it's easier to replace discs than rims!

Great bike Ed...that bike will go like sh@t off a shuvle with a set of RC30's :D

Still got some post in the frame, not quite at the limit but lucky it's a 400 post! Check out the shadow in the photo - I'm clearly a mutant.

Quality of bike certainly inversely proportional to quality of rider. Almost seems a shame that I own it. Almost.

Back