Improve "Classic" Alan

Popyafro

Old School Hero
Hi!
I've got a Alan Supercarbonio more or less "classic".
It's 100% rideable, and I want to have it light light light, but without loose its "classic air".
The stem is not classic (Ritchey WCS), and squewers neither (the cheapest Titanium I found in my usual shop).
What would you change to have it lighter and better???
I'm gonna buy a Look HSC3 full carbon fork, and I'm looking for a more classic quick release.....
Ideas????
Thanks!!!

Attachments

• p1000129_75_160.jpg
    p1000129_75_160.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 948
Wheels???
I love my Spinergy RevX.....
I've got another set of wheels:
Mavic Reflex
Hub TTP Titanium 32sp
+
Mavic Open Pro
Hub Hope Ultralight
lighter than Spinergy, but they're so "standard".....
I like so much my Spinergy...

sorry bud. First thing I thought of before getting further down the thread was "wheels". I'd go for some classic spokers. The spinerygs might work well, but they look so technically purposeful rather than classic beauty. Plus tri/quad bladers are a bit dangerous should you catch a limb in there.

If you want to go "classic" light:

get rid of STIs, go for downtube levers,

single pivot brakes not dual pivots,

For the classic look, quill stems are a must, the Cinelli 1R had an alloy expander bolt so that'll save a few grams.

Wheels: Campag Record (old Record or C-Record) on Mavic GEL280 or Super Champion Medaille d'Or rims (both 300g or under rims), 28 1.6/1.8 DB spokes, with Vittoria CX silk tubs or Clement Criteriums. There are more modern hubs, eg Tune, which are lighter but less classic looking.

Use allen bolted skewers, the ones without a lever that uses an allen to do up, not quick release though but very lightweight for the money.

A Royce ti bottom bracket will also save a few more grams without spoiling the classic look.

Oh and that saddle's got to go as well, get an alloy railed Turbo or Concor!

campy aero omega-strada-hardox v rims :)

& to the person who said get rid of the sti's NAHHHHH sti is the best thing since sliced bread or gears for a road bike :) unlike dual control for mtb they have huge advantages, if you must go classic then id go with a 1st gen dura ace 8speed groupset (if you use alternate cable routing you would not necicarely have to track down an original derailleur)

but your wheels are beauts anyways, so idek

whatever you do you cant go wrong, that is one BEAUTIFUL bike :D

campy [sic] aero omega-strada-hardox v rims

Nah, aero (actually semi-aero, not really aero at all) and v rims are heavy and ugly. The OP's asking how to make their bike lighter with the "classic" look.

I'm sure STIs are great, but they're heavier than downtube levers + normal brake levers.

More weight weenie tricks:
replace steel bolts/screws with ti or alu.
use alu sprockets

*disclaimer: I didn't actually type "Cam*y", it's a copy'n'paste job :)

Hi! Thanks a lot....
Actually, I want to change the fork. I'm looking for a Look HSC, but it's difficult to find...
I want to change skewers too...I'm looking for a set of PMP, Heylight or something like that. But I couldn't find anything...
Saddle.....looking for a Flite Evolution (1 or 2 or 3). The problem is that is sooooo expensive....120€ more or less.
And bottlecage....I don't really know which model...
Any help????

Popyafro":3rogvx5x said:
Hi! Thanks a lot....
Actually, I want to change the fork. I'm looking for a Look HSC, but it's difficult to find...

Is that the one from the late 80s early 90s, thats kinda skinny? because if so they ride good, you can see them flex, but it kinda adds a natural shock

& @ fiks oops :oops: lol i didnt notice he wanted it lite lite lite

yeahhh then id go with what they say w/ downtube shifters & whatnot, although lite lite lite + classic dont tend to be two terms that i tend to link togeather lol. ether way whatever happens it will still be a beautiful bike. i tend to think that the added weight of sti's are def worth it because they change the functionality so much, but thats personal preference.

& haha i think theyre damn sexy ;) but i dont think that aero rims really have much if any benifit, trispoke, 4spoke, v,deepv etc. oh, and even disks.

& how do the aluminium sprockets hold up durability wise

Latest posts

Back