The North Sea claims another 16 lives

J i m s t e r":3ir8lvk5 said:
Tragic indeed.

Mechanical failure/bad weather/pilot error? Any news?

Weather was perfect - day two of the three day Aberdeen summer.

Mayday call was issued then nothing heard - suggests catastrophic failure of something. No doubt lots more speculation over at www.pprune.org

Another worrrying thought for us is that this was the first day where passengers were not wearing PLB's. PLB's are Personnel Locator Beacons. They were found after last months crash to interfere with the helicopter and liferafts locator beacon, mismatched frequencies or something and were subsequently this was the first day they were removed from all passenger lifejackets. They've been in use for years and they're only finding this out now :evil: It would not have helped these guys the other day as the only reason they found the bodies that they did was because they were thrown from the wreckage however for an industry that is supposed to be so safety concious its a definite concern.

We're all real glad you're OK,mate

----
My mates Dad was a rig Pilot ,he's said many times the industry doesnt give a toss for the guy on the floor,it's all money and profit, always was and always will be. :evil:

your dad's mate is right Andy. I've sat there and listened to all the suits that come out to the platform tell you how important safety critical maintenance is then a few sentences later try and explain how getting the oil out of the ground has put the same maintenance behind schedule. Now for the best bit, that was on the Piper Bravo!! the one built in place of the Alpha from which you can see the sea grave marker floating 300yds of its east side. unfuckingbelievable :evil:

Back