MacRetro chat and rides thread

Routes of sub 30 miles preferred, 20 ish would be better as I have mild ME and Awaycaboose has less mild ME. Our energy levels need to be optimum for long days out off road.

Like a nice bit of singletrack through woodland if there is any on offer.

By technical I'm not meaning Northshore and never ending dropoffs, just twisty, narrow, off road paths that make you work.

Nowt wrong with landrover track though !

Cheers

Mr Panda":2kbvpmmh said:
Fook me - I post a couple of pics of my local landrover track and folk want to come out to play :shock:

I'll have a think on route choice - the arrochar loop I'm thinking of is basically forestry track and X/C work of approx 20-30 miles - will need to check that. Nice run in decent weather. Expect midges :twisted:

Last time we went my oppo tried to pull a wheely, came off, was sore, off work a week and is still getting physio - that was around a year ago :LOL:

Bridge of Orchy loop (30 - 40 miles?) is a good un too.

Technical stuff - hmmm - not really my bag (depending what you mean by technical) Despite living 45mins from THE World Championships course, I'm not really a rock-bopper or tree-basher (although I do have a chainsaw and know how to use it :p )

S'pose i'd better get that Cinder Cone up and running soon then (Dog collar arrived today from Canada, tnx Headtube :p )

And remember - all roads lead to Crianlarich ;) ( its a joke round here)

:LOL: :LOL:

Like the sound of the first route, not sure if my fitness levels are up for a 30-40 just yet.

Mr Panda do you have a date in mind, if so I can start a new thread see who would be up for this, Does the route have turn back points, as velo has said good to have a bail out option if it all gets a bit to much?

Also consider the fire trail loop up near lochgilphead

Lochgilphead is a fair trek for the Eastcoasters, but I believe there are decent tracks there. Sure we can find better stuff closer unless you specifically fancy L/gilp. About an hour further than Arrochar.

Arrochar route is approx 20 miles circular starting at Ardgarten Forest office (about 2 or 3 miles beyond Arrochar on W side of Loch Long), south then north round the peninsula to Lochgoilhead, short section on single track road, then back on the forest track along Gleann Mor back to Ardgarten. Not really any escape once you're on it, although once at Lochgoilhead it is possible to continue on quiet public road if that helps, which is roughly parallel to the forest track.

There is another route starting at same point which is shorter but goes in different dirrection, towards Arrochar and Loch Sloy - need to look it up again.
Alternative might be something near Callander for example, but I'm not familiar with routes there. Dates pretty flexible for me at the moment.

I like the sound of that, some nice pubs in lochgoilhead to boot.

I have done a wee bit of walking at/around loch sloy but not on to arrochar and it looks like a great trail (with some climbing aswell), I would be up for the lochgoilhead route and 20miles is very doable.

We need to pray for some nice weather, in the sunshine there is nowhere finer. :cool: How are your weekends in may? Will start a thread and ask for best times for folk and take it from there.

Another short one near Bridge of Orchy is from Loch Tulla to the Kingshouse at Glencoe, and back. Its on part of the WH Way with great scenery, beer and around 20 miles there and back. Biking surface is pretty good as it was part of one of General Wades roads - bumpy but firm :LOL:
Can be extended at the Kingshouse end if wanted.

The other B of O loop is nearer 50 miles, but is half off, half on road.
BofO, Glen Kinglass, Loch Etive, Lochawe, Glen Orchy, BofO. Nice. :cool:

Back