1991 Pace RC-100 MBA Review

Review Pace RC100 Article: MBA Jan 1992

• Publication
  • Mountain Bike Action
Rich":d0kalavg said:
This is the only Pace RC100 I've seen campy equiped...I guess the Suntour equiped version was a few hundred pounds cheaper at the time...

The LE was only about £100 more believe it or not, didnt sell many campy equiped bikes though, about 6 years ago they turned up at york cycle rally and flogged loads of the old gear off, I got a NOS xc-pro mech for £6 and they were flogging all the campy stuff off at £8 a piece - I got 3 sets of thumbies and sold em for over £30 a set ont bay.

pace3_114.jpg

more scans here and here

Nice scans, I added them to the Gallery

Lee, if you have your spec sheets somewhat bigger, I can add them too

- Melvin

You'll enjoy this then...

Hi Guys,

Thought you'd all get a kick out of knowing that this bike is still going strong!

I bought it direct from Pace in '92 and changed just a couple of things pretty well straight away. The Campag grip shifters were rubbish, because they were across the full grip. The test rider must have had better luck than me, they mis-shifted all the time, so I managed to get an incredibly rare set of Campag top shifters that are pretty chunky, but work flawlessly. I tossed the grip shifters because they were so bad; shame really.

The bars were also set up for the Campag shifters and were chunky, heavy, and narrow. I scored these rare GT bars that have integrated bar ends, saving 100's of grams of weight without spending megabucks - they are beautiful to ride with, especially with the obligatory Grab-On grips.

The groupset is an interesting one in its own right. If I remember correctly, Campag were first to market with a 24 speed set up and this was the first bike in the UK with that groupset on it so the first bike in the UK with 24 speed! :)

About 12 years back, I had a major service done on the bike. New (longer) brake pads, replaced bearings where possible, new chain (not Rohloff sadly), new cassette, and those awesome Pace chainrings swapped out for Campags that were just too soft.

In the last few years I have bought a new saddle and some Crank Bros peddles, but I still have the Campag originals of both of these. The valve on the saddle was busted from the get-go so I couldn't ever test the ability to pump it up, but I think it was a pretty dumb idea anyway for a saddle that has a rock-hard leather cover on it already.

It has Campag Thorr rims that were rated as the strongest rims on the market at the time and pretty light too. Sadly, the rear rim has a crack around one of the eyelets so it can't be trued, but its been like this for years and never given way on me.

This is a wonderful bike to ride still and of such quality that will just never die. I was too excited about sending the info through to clean it all up brilliantly, so apologies, but she's still beautiful.

Enjoy!

Andy

(By the way, I'm not the gimp riding it in the picture, just the same bike, that's all! :D )

Problems with Photos

Having problems getting the photos in. I think it might be the size. Will make them smaller and post soon.

Welcome to the site Undy.

This is possibly one of the most famous Pace made thanks to the fantastic oft' quoted sub heading to the article. Would be great to see the photo's when you get them sorted. (try hosting them on photobucket.com or similar if you struggle to resize them)

Also it would be great to get the frame number for our retrobike official pace frame number list.

Photos

Photos of said RC100 :)

Attachments

• IMG_1416.JPG
    IMG_1416.JPG
    274.2 KB · Views: 792
  • IMG_1417.JPG
    IMG_1417.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 792
  • IMG_1418.JPG
    IMG_1418.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 791
  • IMG_1419.JPG
    IMG_1419.JPG
    248.6 KB · Views: 792
Hi JeRkY,

I used to have a copy of the MBA, but I think it may have been lost along the way. :(

Here's the next best thing... A certificate of authenticity with all the detail. I actually didn't think I still had this either!

I still have brochures and the manual, etc, if anyone wants to see them.

And another great part to the story which is for another time.

I'm on the look out now for a set of RC35's for it (Magura fittings) so that I can get it back out onto some trails. :cool:

Andy

Attachments

• Authenticity.jpg
    Authenticity.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 780
You may want to have a word with Justbackdated regarding the magura fork. They are pretty hard to source (Ive a set on my lotus that were originally supplied with my RC100, which is currently using the RC30 rigid legs. If any one can find one, Tim can.

Love the scanned document, would be nice to see the RC100 manual too.

Original '91 Manual

Okies, here's the manual... :D

All the detail, no fluffy marketing or pictures!

Attachments

• Manual4.jpg
    Manual4.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 742
  • Manual3.jpg
    Manual3.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 742
  • Manual2.jpg
    Manual2.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 742
  • Manual1.jpg
    Manual1.jpg