MacRetro chat and rides thread

Already thinking about the next get together in may :roll: and given the mighty fine pictures Mr Panda has posted, he has indicated that there are a few routes round Arrochar that might be cool. Not so far for us boys in the west but has a train station so is doable for others non?

quote Mr Panda

There's a couple of routes near Arrochar which are quite accessible and not too challenging. Not far once you've made it to Loch Lomond.

Anyone interested in this and if so any dates good- SS training for all :cool:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=a ... a=N&tab=wl

Unless there is a lot of technical singletrack for SS race practice I do not see much point as the May meet despite the admittedly grand scenery.
A trail centre such as one of the 7stanes or Drumlanrig with technical black and red trail would be better practice for Dalby.
July would be better for the run you propose Gaz :D

Cheers

Velo

no bother velo.

I will still drop you a line Mr panda, I am defo up for a blast some time soon- did a wee bit of the west highland way BITD and love the area and it is not to far away really ;)

I really fancy a ride on the west coast, last time I was at Arrochar I was hill walking, but it is beautiful.

This was on the way down from Ben Narnain ...

Don't think I'd make the gap now though.

Attachments

• Jump_small.jpg
    Jump_small.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 174
You are a mentalist ken- bet the guy/gal taking the picture was on the bridge that crossed the river ;)

Give me a shout if you fancy a particular weekend for arrocher and we can see if something can get planned- we need to do something closer to you too as you are prob. racking up the milage?

If Mr Panda can look at his diary and give us any dates that might be good, then we can try and get something in the bag.

velomaniac":e28hjmcq said:
Unless there is a lot of technical singletrack for SS race practice I do not see much point as the May meet despite the admittedly grand scenery.
A trail centre such as one of the 7stanes or Drumlanrig with technical black and red trail would be better practice for Dalby.
July would be better for the run you propose Gaz :D

Cheers

Velo

Don't know what route Gil has in mind but Dalby tends to be rather XC, smoothish and flowing rather than Glentress Reddish if you get my drift.

Si

The two previous SSUK I have attended have involved riding off all weather tracks into mud, rocks and roots with steep terrain and the odd scary dropoff or bombhole, black graded sections were common.
Flowing singletrack of the gentler XC variety was missing, hitting trees or going over the bars did happen to many. Plus rain makes roots and rocks treacherous.

I doubt the race circuit will closely follow well established trails in its entirety although I for one would be happy about it.

Riding miles of rough landrover track in the highlands would be great and good for the endurance side of things but i'm not sure about helping me cope with technical stuff.

Up to you guys ;)

Fook me - I post a couple of pics of my local landrover track and folk want to come out to play :shock:

I'll have a think on route choice - the arrochar loop I'm thinking of is basically forestry track and X/C work of approx 20-30 miles - will need to check that. Nice run in decent weather. Expect midges :twisted:

Last time we went my oppo tried to pull a wheely, came off, was sore, off work a week and is still getting physio - that was around a year ago :LOL:

Bridge of Orchy loop (30 - 40 miles?) is a good un too.

Technical stuff - hmmm - not really my bag (depending what you mean by technical) Despite living 45mins from THE World Championships course, I'm not really a rock-bopper or tree-basher (although I do have a chainsaw and know how to use it :p )

S'pose i'd better get that Cinder Cone up and running soon then (Dog collar arrived today from Canada, tnx Headtube :p )

And remember - all roads lead to Crianlarich ;) ( its a joke round here)

Back