Which manufacturers made the biggest frames?

I used to love freaking out riders behind my 21" Bontrager as the 500mm ti post swayed +/- 2 inches under my 18 stone arse! God that bike is well made!

I've got a Bontrager XXXL race; but then I am 6'7" tall and weigh 255lbs!

25" top tube and, if I remember correctly, a 23.5" seat tube.

I stand to be corrected but I believe only 8 were ever made and mine appeared in MBUK in an article about the extremes of Bonty sizing.

I'll see if I can do some piccies.

Mike

Fat Mike":1bqypcvb said:
I've got a Bontrager XXXL race; but then I am 6'7" tall and weigh 255lbs!

25" top tube and, if I remember correctly, a 23.5" seat tube.

I stand to be corrected but I believe only 8 were ever made and mine appeared in MBUK in an article about the extremes of Bonty sizing.

I'll see if I can do some piccies.

Mike

Love to see a picture of that ! :shock:

yes - have to see that! This kind of comes round to our discussion elsewhere about 29" wheels - surely they would suit us tall-ies better (and make the bike look more in proportion?)

orange71":3ggalwdw said:
This kind of comes round to our discussion elsewhere about 29" wheels - surely they would suit us tall-ies better (and make the bike look more in proportion?)
I don't buy that, I'm 6' and I ride the same size wheels on my BMX as 4' kids...
wheel size has a big impact on handling, I don't think taller riders should have to suffer from a less responsive bike ;)

I don't know much about handling I'll be honest, but the fact that if we have a large (gate-proportioned!) frame we will have small wheels in proportion to the frame size - won't that affect handling more than having large wheels?

Doesn't a correctly proportioned bike handle similarly whatever it's size so a small person on a BMX with small wheels will largely have similar handling to a medium person on medium MTB with 26" wheels and by extrapolation a big person on a big frame with 29" wheels (taking into account the person on board is proportionately stronger to overcome extra inertia)? Or am I talking out me *rse?!

Your collective wish is my command.

To put things in perspective, here's a pic of me with my beasty. remember, I'm 6'7".......

What a handsome chap. ;)

Attachments

• img010.jpg
    img010.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 1,806
And in original spec with lovely 180mm Cook Bros Racing cranks *drool*...

Wish I still had those forks but they kinda snapped on me! :shock:

Attachments

• img011.jpg
    img011.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 1,804
Back