Kona Lava Dome in the 'Skip'!

utahdog2003

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
OK, so I actually set it in my own skip for the picture after buying it on eBay...I never find stuff like this! I blame all you Euro-Retrobikers for motivating me toward a mass produced Taiwan frame as the basis of a retro build, something I've up to this point never understood. You guys just all seem to have so much fun with frames that have not much value, that I had to play along! :cool: :LOL:

It's in very good shape, with just a few nicks here and there. Most of the issues with the frame that you can see in the pictures is residual goo from previous owner...a good scrubbing and a wax down and the frame cleaned up very well, nearly as well as my Beast. I've already fitted a Syncros Stem, Race Face post, Aheadset, Kona P2, some small gold and green alloy goodies, a Shimao UN52 BB and a set of XTR blue-grey Race Face turbines. I'm not sure when I'll get to this one. The Klein still needs to be built, and it took me 8 months just to fit the Pepperoni to the Beast, so I'm not one to speed through stuff...to say the least!

It's a '97...And no, I'm not painting it white...gonna buck that trend! :p :D

Attachments

• IMG_3347small.JPG
    IMG_3347small.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 1,388
  • IMG_3346small.JPG
    IMG_3346small.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 1,388
utahdog2003":19da0ycd said:
It's a '97...And no, I'm not painting it white...gonna buck that trend! :p :D

I think white was still just about cool when I had mine sprayed (March 2007), or maybe it was never cool? :LOL:

It'll be going back to Argos in the not-too-distant to get a more original makeover...

Anyhoo, that green is lush. My '96 Lava Dome was a similar (the same?) colour, looked awesome sparkling in the sunshine.

1997 Kona Lava Dome - that was two of my friends' first bikes! Takes me back. (There were lots of Konas around when I grew up in western Canada...)

It would be a crime to paint over that colour - the colour and graphics are so nice on that frame/year. Nice riding frames too, them old steel Konas.

I think it came stock with STX/LX and Rock Shox Indy C's?

Question...

Thanks guys. It is a pretty green...I never really liked green until I got this one out of the box. I think all the Kona flowery graphics make the green really work. I'll take some pictures of the frame this weekend, showing after the clean up and part install.

I think I'm going older with the parts buildup than the standard 1997 STX type stuff...I was never a big fan of that generation of Shimano components. Besides, I've got boxes of DX derailleurs.

Here's the question though...the thing has a rear cable hanger for cantilevers! Would the '97 Lava Dome be fitted with Cantilever Brakes? Maybe those OEM Curve things? I was suprised to find a cable hanger, but it will sure make fitting canti brakes easy! :cool:

I still can't believe I'm excited about a Lava Dome! I must be losing my mind! :LOL: :cool:

That's right; the Indy C on my friend's bike still had the Canti stopper, which looked weird after he upgraded to V's.

Back