1987 Fat City FAT CHANCE

Paint- Original spec or as it is??

• Original FAT spec- Black with Yellow Fork and decals?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As it is- all Black with no decals?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I know where you're coming from Ed but fork paint is too bad to touch up and rust is creeping under the frame paint- I'm thinking preservation rather than resto but I think I might have to do the whole lot if it is to survive our weather. Decals are also a hard choice- bike was ordered new all black with NO decals. Should it be returned as such?? Maybe roony is right- all black with black decals?

Appreciate your input on this Ed as it's here because of you- I want you to be as happy with it's eventual outcome as I will be.

Cheers
Si

All black no decals gets my vote...

Looks so good, so so good. I really like the clean lines the hidden U Brake gives it.

paint

defo back to original ;)

But black decals sounds kinda cool..By the way, im liking this bike a lot.

bike was ordered new all black with NO decals. Should it be returned as such??

Yes, if that's how it left the factory then that makes it that little bit different.

Sympathetic restoration is now well underway.

Before taking it apart i took it down to Yorkshire last month for the NE&Yorks area meet. Apart from an adjustment to saddle angle and regular cleaning out of the rear U brake it rode perfectly and never missed a beat. I was supprised at how good these old FATs were, fast, agile, climbed well and very comfortable despite those rigid forks on any terrain.

a few pics....

3403365297_0673350ce7_b.jpg

3403349021_95f4e34b86.jpg

I then stripped it down. The frame and fork was sent for powder coating. I want to ride this bike so I chose the toughness off powder over wet paint. A good powder coater can get a very nice finish indeed, and as it turned out I was very happy with the finish. I also got the frame back the next day- now that is good service! In the end I went for all black- just as it left Fat City all those years ago.

I now had some catching up to do with the parts. Everything was cleaned, polished and lubed up- all original parts remember apart from the mechs which I am still looking for. As well as mechs I need bearings for the crank- Rody has them and I will order some this week.

I then had to decide what to do with decals. This bike had no decals apart from a small Fat City sticker on the bars. I love the FAT CHANCE logo but did want to keep it looking original. Kingroon suggested going for black decals over black paint which I though might look cool and be sympathetic to the bikes original look. I talked to Gil_M and we decided on satin black decals. They look really nice I think and you have to get up close to see them- so the objective to keep the bike looking as it was has been met.

What do you think??

3403349667_fdd1666600.jpg

Will try and get it finished over the next few weeks as I'm itching to ride it again.

Si

Wowieeee....

Indeed lovely ook af the black on black.

Was wondering if I was the only one thionking that the "old" Fat's rode that nice...

Back