Surly Crosscheck

Is it? I bought it for silly money off a good friend...

2gt84sk.jpg

...I'm going to kit it out with 9 speed Dura Ace/Ultegra.

That looks nice to my eyes, will look especially nice I'd think with 8 speed Dura Ace

My contribution to the Surly world. New Cross*check frame with 8 year old Chorus groupset. Still got to get some straddle hangers but all going well should be ridden by the weekend.
I was expecting the frame's finish and tolerances to be a bit shite going by a few reviews i read. The frame though is actually far better aligned than some British handbuilt frames that i have had.
Other parts include Ritchey cantis and pads from an 8 year old explosif, gore-tex cables and a flite max saddle that is mega cumfy.
Photos were a rush job, will try and get some decent ones soon.

Attachments

• IMGP3149.JPG
    IMGP3149.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 993
  • IMGP3154.JPG
    IMGP3154.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 993
PS. the cat in the corner is fake and the ballet stuff on the window sill belongs to the ex-bird, honest! Im not weird or gay or owt!

Class bicycles. Ive rode a surly for a few years and enjoyed the ride.
One or two people have commented on how heavy surly frames are but that has never been an issue to me.
I have had allsorts of ss bikes from a vintage 35 pound lump to sub 16 pound alloy carbon and ti GT costing silly money and the surly is a sweet handling thing.
Wheels and tyres play a huge part in the way a bike is. A half pound more in the frame only makes the frame a little stiffer which is the very best thing when slogging your arse up a climb.

Cheers, Al

ps I have an 84 vintage ritchey mtb frame and forks for sale. In fantastic condition and would make a great ss hack.

Back