waning interest

Waning interest due to Kona

No, I agree with the first post, what do you expect, its a Kona :LOL: :LOL:

Ride more, build less.

Jamie

Lots of interest and enthusiasm, yes.

Lots of time and energy, no.

If I had the time I would ride first, build/fettle second.

But I dont.

So I cant :roll:

The interest, energy and enthusiasm is a-plenty, it's just the lack of money that's holding me back...

Just take a break. No shame in that.
When I don't ride, though, I get depressed, and I don't know why. It gets really bad sometimes. I struggle to get out of bed in the mornings, and start eating crap food and drinking too much.
Then I get a couple of days out looking around, and it's ok again. :D

Reckon the lighter weather is for riding rather than building. Perhaps vary what you do- a roadie by inclination, I've riddden off road more this winter and built two bikes.

Now Spring is here the TT bike has been unwrapped and rides organised on my new build. HoNC beckons to test out my hopefully improved off road skills and other events as the season progresses.

Autumn will maybe see another building project and so on!!

I have to ride, I feel I've cheated myself if I don't get at least one decent ride per week.Fettling used to be a close second,not so much these days.

There was a time when a half built bike in the garage would annoy me. Now though there are four half built bikes in the garage which are largely ignored as I pick up a working one and go do some pedalling. Not lost the passion, just giving it a rest whist I ride more and wait for the recent ludicrous prices to sort themselves out :D

theres only so much fettling you can do.

Blasphemy LGF! Sell me your Kuwahara by way of repentence.

But, looking at the whole thread, I do recognise a bermuda triangle of: no time; costs too much to get the part you've liked for years; too cold & dark. And it can be a tricky place to navigate.

I take the long view: my projects take forever due to the bermuda triangle, but I come back to them with enthusiasm sooner or later. Just found a supplier of 28hole 650b rims and I'm suddenly happy as boar in ooomsca.

On the riding front: bikes should be built with a purpose. So, 'I want a single speed' isn't going to make you happy.

Try:

I want a light simple bike, that:

must be able to get me to the pub and back;
must not mind being propped against the odd hedge or wall;
should look like a tart's promise;
could be based on an old explosif frame .....

;)

cce":2xm3unmb said:
anyone else finding that their interest in it all is waning?

i have a beautiful 96 kilauea in my garage, a few spare pounds to start getting it built, and

i'm not sure i can be arsed....

Just order the bits that you need, build it up (an afternoon's work...) and then get out and find nice inspiring places to ride. The bike is just the tool - where it can take you and what it lets you do is the real deal, building and maintaining them is just a means to an end...(it fills a wet afternoon I suppose).

Only the other evening I was complaining to my wife about it maybe being time for me to give up riding (cos I'm taking a longer time than I would like to recover from my last big stack :oops: ) and yet went for a "last minute type of thing" ride with a mate yesterday, and had the best four hours riding that I've had in months.
We discovered (well, I'd checked it out on foot last weekend) a sweet "never ridden before by anyone" route off the tops, though woods down into a valley which will become a firm favourite. In fact, it was so sweet that I dragged my mate back up 1400 ft again to give it another go.

So maybe do things that you don't normally do - ride different terrain, get out on foot and discover new cheeky trails and do a bit of clearing/cutting back and then ride them. Or if you've never raced, maybe give it a try, or a Trailquest?? Just a club ride or two even.

In fact, walking in the hills and woodland is always a great catalyst for me - I can guarantee that within 10 minutes I'm saying (or thinking) "I wonder if this drop/bank/gulley is rideable and where does this sheep track go?? I must get up here on a bike..."

Build that Kilauea up mate, and then just get out and give it some stick !

Latest posts

Back