HONC - tyre selection?

JustKev

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Only 5 days to the mudfest known as HoNC.

Except the weather has been dry and the forecast is good. So what tyres is everyone running?

I was thinking of using some Fast Freds to ease the road sections but then if it is wet they'll be rubbish!

So what is everyone planning to use (and what spares will be in the car just in case ;) )

I know nothing about the terrain, conditions etc except what you've kindly told me. But i'll be going amber wall Continental Cross-Country 1.9" at 42 PSI. Was tempted to run modern Panaracer XC Pro 1.8" but will go the retro route.

I'll be using whatever I have fitted to my wheels at the time. In this case it's Maxxis Medusa 1.8's. Last year it was Nobby Nic 1.8's, they seemed to go OK.
:D

heathy":32t8x8jj said:
Any summer tyre will do :roll:

Yup. Dry as dry can be round here at the moment. Anything that rolls fast will be fine.

Personally I'll be using very worn (virtually slick) IRC Notos, but thats because I can't be arsed to change them to something with more of a centre ridge.

Tyre selection for HoNC is crucial. Thinking 1.7 z max at 53 psi. May switch to semi slicks on the day though.

oh gawd, this is my arena. :roll:

or is it an April Fool thread designed to catch me out?

:evil: :LOL:

Fire XC Pro 1.8 btw.

;)

Or maybe Tintin's Cross Country 1.5's. :shock:

Lots of suggestions :?

42psi is low for all the road sections

Amber walls may get dirty

1.7 Z-Max I'm just too fat for them

Fire Pros are too grippy for the road sections and Conti XC's puncture too easily

So confused..................

maybe Michelin Wildgrippers? Green ones :shock: Or buy something else ?

Back