Bridgestone and Orange builds

i-am-iron-man

Senior Retro Guru
Well - I have finished building my Orange Dynamo in retro-sympathetic style in poor weather trim and I am about to finish my Bridgestone RB-1.

I can't wait to ride the Bridgestone: I have nearly finished buying up a complete '02 Dura Ace 7700 groupset (just the hubs left to find) and I dropped the frame off at Bob Jackson yesterday. It is returning painted white. Finishing kit is Nitto bars and stem (but I kind of want a Dura Ace stem), Brooks Swallow saddle and bar tape and a Miche Supertype seatpost. I'm also having the looped cable guides removed and some slotted ones brazed-on.

(I did intend to add this to the "Lets see those retro roadbikes" thread but apparently it wasn't to be, and as a thread this seems kind of threadbare...maybe I'll up a pic of the Dynamo later...)

TheGreenRabbit":2qzt6pmd said:

Oh go on then -

My Dynamo in hack trim: Syncros seatpost and stem, Nitto noodle bar (and super old-skool Salsa rasta cork), Dura Ace 7400 levers, modern Dura Ace 9-speed shifters, Ultegra chainset and mechs (although it is wearing a DA one in the pictures). 105 calipers are due for replacement and its topped off with a Flite I've owned for years that has seen better days. Wheels are cheap Shimano ones, 105 I think. I wanted Hope Ti hubs, but then again, I wanted to get it finished and I couldn't pass the wheels up for what I paid for them.

24022009323.jpg

Nice bike. Don't see many - if any! - Orange road bikes around (even in Yorkshire) although they must have produced quite a few and had a road team in the early 90's (Jonny Clay and Chris Young rode for them).

Any others out there?

iron man wanted to buy mine 2years ago and it took him this long to find his bike! i'll say what i said to him, good luck!! :D

Old Ned":1f8rw4q9 said:
Nice bike. Don't see many - if any! - Orange road bikes around (even in Yorkshire) although they must have produced quite a few and had a road team in the early 90's (Jonny Clay and Chris Young rode for them).

Any others out there?

As Mr 666 says, good luck is about right ... this is only the 3rd Orange road frame I've seen up for sale - I've seen a huge Dynamo go on STW and a gorgeous 60cm Formula in orange and white fade (same as Mr Kawasaki's) on eBay at the same time as I found this one. The Formula was far too big for me, looked very tired, and sold for a song and dance.

I would have much preferred a boggo production Roadie-O from the '99 catalogue, but so far it has not meant to be. However, this is what the previous owner said of my bike -

I met Steve Wade (I think that was his name!?) the co founder of Orange at a MTB race in the early 1990's and we got talking about road bikes (I'm a roadie at heart). He was thinking about building road bikes as he liked training on the road. I wanted a road bike like the "compact" orange MTB frames, he was dying to build one so I think I gave him the excuse. He wanted the extended seat tube to save weight...note how the new frames (Trek, giant) now have this. He was thirty years ahead of the game!! As far as I know (I can't prove it) this was the first orange road bike! It was black because I wanted black and I remember Steve's wife saying all bikes look good in black!? He was really helpful and we even had a mini tour of his factory in Halifax. I'll always have a soft spot for orange! It has a frame no. OD33 on the bottom and my name. The 33 refers to nothing so it is definitely not number 33!

- so I'm fairly happy to keep it as it is until that elusive Roadie-O crops up with wishbone seatstays.

Back