1978 Nishiki Competition

Senri

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I just finished rbuilding my Nishiki today. This will be my bike for classic and retro rides. It is in a very nice condition except for some scratches on the lacquer from being in someone's shed. The Suntour Cyclone deraillers and the Sugino Super Mighty group are like new!
Enjoy!

DSCN3040sm.jpg

DSCN3021sm.jpg

Hi Senri,

Looks great ..and indeed in immaculate condition. Have been told Cyclone is really great stuff. Why did you choose for not sourcing a pair of hoods somewhere?

I don't have experience in races, so I can't say how these cyclones react under race conditions, but from a technical poiunt of view I really like them. They seem much more pure because of the cable routing diagonal thrue the derailler. This one is still lighter then the newest Dura-Ace, Iwas told.
The bike is not completely finished. The hoods are one thing (I am not really sure about the original colour), but I also want real leather tape for it.
I want to use it for L'eroica, if I get around to going there this year!

Looks like a great bike. Suntour road equipment was very good, better than Shimano I think. The gears always seem to work very well.

I think the brake lever rubbers would have been natural 'brown' rubber but finding some these days is very, very difficult.

If you find some, let us know.

I need one Black Campag hood!

The Cambria hoods look as if they'd be OK and at the price well worth a try. I wonder if they fit Campag as well? Trouble is these days by the time we order from the states and get all the duty etc. added the price just spirals - upwards!

Did you see the price of the Modolo anatomic hoods on Yellow Jersey!! I could have bought a pair of Campag levers complete with Modolo hoods for £3 at the weekend at a Jumble. It didn't strike me until I was halfway home what I'd missed :oops:

Twerp!!

Hi,

I got a pair of the Dia Compes through Cambria. Live the colour is off from that one on the pic and pretty ugly too. They are branded Cane Creek, unike the ones in the pic.

They are said to be durable.

They do not fit Campagnolo levers.

I know Mario De Fietsenmaker has several hood options for sympathic prices.

Glad I know that, I was tempted... But Mario's is good! I have already bought several items from him and always very good quality and reasonal prices.

Back