Single Speed UK Championships 09

Status
Not open for further replies.

Building a modern SS for this - stretching a couple of years beyond my 1997 safety zone.... my first disc brakes too! :shock:

Mr K

Re: .

mrkawasaki":a0g51u13 said:
Building a modern SS for this - stretching a couple of years beyond my 1997 safety zone.... my first disc brakes too! :shock:

Mr K

The irony of fitting disc brakes (for the first time) to possibly the slowest bike you'll own hasn't passed you by I hope? :)

I'm going to give the HONC a go on a singlespeed this year and depending how that goes, might have a go at the big race.

mrkawasaki":3of9zca4 said:

Mr K

Oh dear.

Oh dear.

Oh dear.

mrkawasaki":3dtujqhy said:

Mr K

pray tell what you will be riding good sir.

mrkawasaki":2xqxgawu said:

Mr K

I did this and its now my most used bike,and good brakes are an exellent idea,you spend so much time trying to flow and keep your speed that when you need to brake,you NEED to brake :LOL:

Who and what

Hi Guys
Thought this needed a bump.
So where are we all up to.
Who is in and what are you riding?
Modern or Retro?

Really looking forward to this one.
Jamie

Jamie,

I will most definitely be riding a 1996 Alpinestars ASR320 with Balistic suspension forks and old style CX type cantibrakes. This bike has survived both Glentress and Innerleithen with flying colours but I have as yet not settled on my gear ratio, though it is likely to be below the classic 2:1 ratio.

I also am well excited by this event, especially since it will be my third, the daftness of SS is great :cool: :cool:

Velo

OK, just read my post above and thought maybe I should have given my answers to the questions I posed :oops:

I will have my trusty old 94 Stumpjumper in blood red (with white undercoat and rust streaks from all the scrapes and gauges)
I have built it with as much stuff as I had lying about. The frame gets built up every know and again in a different guise. It is just about finished and ready to go as singlespeed Stumpy with rigid NOS Stumpy forks (thanks Kai).
It has some deore/Mach 1 race wheels 2000ish so a bit modern but nice.
NOS red Specialized team bars, NOS old style Specialized bar ends, S works stem. LX cranks with 32 middleburn front ring and a 16 rear cog. XT bear trap pedals. XT V brakes front and rear with XT levers. I thought of running xc pro cantis but reality states the V's will stop me better. NOS Storm control skinwalls front and rear on the way. Surly tensioner. NOS prolong saddle but waiting on a seatpost, more than likely a tioga.
The only things I have had to get specifically are the tensioner, front ring, chain and unfortunately due to losing/misplacing the old one, a new seatpost.
I would really like to have had it repainted in pearlescent white with my S works cranks fitted. Think finances/other things happening will stop this happening and also changing cranks means getting another front ring.

work in progress
IMG_1195.jpg

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back