I need to gain some weight fast.

Like I said on page 1, there are "some" cases where it is in the genes, i cannot possibly comment on this case. I'm not a doctor and haven't seen their medical notes, so how can i form a judgement one way or another :?: :!:

It's the daily mail "follow the masses" headlines mentality i don't like.

All I can see is this is a family of 4 large overweight people. How they got overweight, I don't know! Whether their benifits are justified, I don't know!

My sister is overweight since she developed a thyroid problem. I saw her at Christmas for the first time in 3 years, she's put on a lot of weight. Been on benefits for many years, as she gave up work to look after my grandmother who had Alzheimer's disease. Incidentally, the house she's frightened of walking outside of in the evenings and the pittance she actually gets is a fraction of what it would have kept nan to stay in a hospital. Really, I used to work in social care. I can tell you her care would have been upwards of £2500 a week, it's a fact that if all the home carers gave up today the country would go bankrupt overnight.
Now, nan died a couple of years ago. Who, exactly, is going to give a job to someone who hasn't worked for 20 years, when there's almost no work for people who were made redundant at Christmas? She can't drive so needs to get a bus into town, less than one an hour and they finish at 6:00, which limits her employment choices even further.
Now I imagine very few of you would have been able to cope with a week of the life she lived for 15 years, looking after nan 24 hours a day, no contact with friends and never being able to leave the house. Forget being able to go for a ride on your bike, or half an hour in the gym. Forget being able to walk to the corner shop.
But if I was to show you a picture of my sister and told you she was living on benefits you'd all say exactly the same things about her as you've said about this family.
You've no idea why these people are on benefits. You've no idea if that is what they actually said, thanks to the modern, sensationalist style of news reporting and our appetite for it.

chris667, your sister is a hero. I wish her well.

In the case of this family, I wish them well, but I think they are digging thier own graves, which in reality would burn a few calories. :roll:

Well, it strikes me that a lot of people here would tar anyone on benefits or who is overweight with the same brush. Which is understandable, because "stories" like this in the media and the troublesome people on council estates are all you hear about, but it's still a pity. There's vast armies of perfectly decent, ordinary people who you never hear of who for whatever reason have to claim benefits. Could be any one of us.
No one here is qualified to make a judgement on the way anyone else lives. You can't say you would be better or worse given somebody's background, it's not possible to say one way or the other.
Bloody Torygraph.

chris667":9g4q6s8d said:
Well, it strikes me that a lot of people here would tar anyone on benefits or who is overweight with the same brush. Which is understandable, because "stories" like this in the media and the troublesome people on council estates are all you hear about, but it's still a pity. There's vast armies of perfectly decent, ordinary people who you never hear of who for whatever reason have to claim benefits. Could be any one of us.
No one here is qualified to make a judgement on the way anyone else lives. You can't say you would be better or worse given somebody's background, it's not possible to say one way or the other.
Bloody Torygraph.

Well said, and i've been trying to say the same thing since page 1 :roll:

Back