1992 GT Bravado - A five year evolution

drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Back in early 1992 when my Karakoram Elite had been stolen, and after an agonising 6 weeks without a bike, I had the task of choosing a replacement with my insurance money.
I went for a lovely bright yellow GT Bravado with its XT and DX component mix and some great details, like the 'groove tube', 'flip-flop' stem and replaceable gear hanger.
This bike got ridden alot, so much so that within the first couple of months the original rims had both been replaced after some bad landings and a crash on Jacobs Ladder.

I found a load of photos I had stashed away and they revealed the series of modifications which the bike enjoyed/endured until I eventually sold it five years later. I thought I'd share them with you...

92Bravado-Jaggers-Clough.jpg

Summer 1992: Shortly after getting it, this is me aged 17 playing in the river...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

92Bravado-Edale-Cross.jpg

At Edale Cross in the Peak District - Summer 1992

92Bravado-Mam-Tor.jpg

Parked up on Mam Tor next to my mates 'Al Carter Professional' - Summer 1992

92BravadoCC92.jpg

Racing in late 1992 at the Cheshire Classic

92BravadoBMF93.jpg

Another local race in April 1993. I was leading at this point but eventually finished 3rd

92Bravado01.jpg

The nearly original spec, with new rims, SPuDs, Qr's and a ridiculously big 50 tooth outer chainring... - Late summer 1992

92Bravado02.jpg

Autumn 1993 - The first respray: New rear braze ons and cantis to replace the U-Brake and a 1993 sticker kit. Air-B Latex inner tubes, Pace chainrings, Flite saddle, X-lite ZE-360 seatpin and an alloy bolt kit. I also drilled out my cranks to save weight ( ! )

92Bravado06.jpg

Summer 1994 - Replaced the bars and stem with Control Tech and Pace Renthal. Also went back to XT thumbshifters.

92Bravado04.jpg

Winter 1995 - I had a Zaskar for racing on now so the Bravado reverted to a winter and trail-riding bike. Note the X-Lite titanium bars and Ritchey Logic crankset which also got drilled...

92Bravado05.jpg

Late Summer 1997 - The second respray, this time in high gloss black with custom decals. After a spell with some bright yellow Rock Shox Quadra 21R's and some Sugino cranks, an incarnation of which I sadly have no photos, the Bravado became my third in line. I'd purchased a brand new 1997 Bravado frameset and transferred the parts over. The 1992 Bravado was built up as a fast commuter with a huge outer chainring and no inner.
Soon after, the Rock Shox went back on and it was sold to someone I worked with.

Great bike with lots of good memories and firsts. I still miss it.

maybe you have a all gt terra decal-set (down tube )for my psyclone in team scream.

:cool: bravado

very cool set of pictures- love the peak district, would have been hiking there about 1992- round edale- if I had seen you I would have been envious very nice bike :cool: .

Latest posts

Back