Road bike from '60

Gorgeous, gorgeous bike....

It may be just the photos, but it looks like the front forks are slightly bent back....might be worth getting them checked.

I may also be showing my ignorance, but it looks as though the chain is running through the derailleur cage the wrong way? Surely the other wheel should be the top one?

thank you.

The chain is correct : old Campagnolo work in this way.

The wheel have a 28 teeths that is more than the 26 considered maximum for the rear derailleur but I try to use it so that I can climb the road with the 42. (that's the matter I've the wheel so back)

I've to take under control the fork but when I've disassembled frame and fork it seems to be all ok.

ciber68":3guisykd said:
thank you.

The chain is correct : old Campagnolo work in this way.

The wheel have a 28 teeths that is more than the 26 considered maximum for the rear derailleur but I try to use it so that I can climb the road with the 42. (that's the matter I've the wheel so back)

Ah! that explains why it looks so low.
Climbing on 42T ring is definitely heroic :shock: , I fully agree with 28T rear! ;)

wonderfull,truly retro!!......are you fearfull of breaking it?i bet a new campag mech for that would take some sourcing!!

That's great, just the job for L'Eroica. I see you have sourced some Universal lever hoods as well. Brown ones would be better but they're VERY rare! Definitely need a 28 for the climbs you'll be doing.

What make of frame is it? I can't quite make it out in the photos.

Old Campag mechs are readily seen at jumbles in the UK at a wide variety of prices. However, you can't guarantee what condition they're in! I have an original steel Record in my 'junk' box but it's quite worn. I stopped using it for this reason about 40 odd years ago!.

By the way, the correct orientation for the gear cage is the 'double plate' end at the bottom.

What a minter! It is the photos hamster as those forks are spot on for the build style of the day. I'd be suspicious if they didn't look backwards!

Old Ned":14a34ch6 said:

What make of frame is it? I can't quite make it out in the photos.

thank you.

The bike was a "Berardi", a framebuilder from the province of Brescia, but the frame is not a Berardi.

The father of the friend of mine used it to race in the '63-'64.

Berardi started his activity in the '68.
Berardi said me that his first bikes were made from frames of Galmozzi and Parini but he could not say me if mine was one or other.

I found some photos on the web that make me think that it could be a Galmozzi ... but in the doubt I've preferred to restore it as my friend gave it to me ...

Berardi, Galmozzi, Parini - all names I've never heard before. I assume they are small local builders similar to the ones in the UK that never appear on the international stage.

Are there any websites (other than Classic Rendezvous) that feature small builders like these?

Back