Most despised feature on modern bikes

perry":1dxox4st said:
go on then , nobodys stopping you :LOL:

Trouble is, for me, retro bikes are for looking at and being sentimental about and modern bikes are for riding. My 'Why I love retro-bikes' list is pretty much over after "They're pretty". ;)

Not much of a thread there I'm afraid!

Simplicity

Pure simplicity !! Thats why i love retro bikes , the fact that you can shove them in the shed after a hard ride safe in the knowledge that it will still ride sweet several weeks later with no maintenance
try that when you have a dozen pivots and high pressure shocks !!!

oh i dont know , probably about time for a " whats your prettiest part " thread :D

i dont like how each year were expected to buy the next best thing and forget the year old stuff that was that years must have . blink and you lose track of whats what

i like the point in time bmx calls "mid" the late 90s early 2000s , stuff wasnt too overbuilt and kept that homemade feel before flashy designs took over , its also really cheap :LOL:

the old stuff is beautiful and i couldnt bring myself to hammer it day in day out and risk denting or breaking stuff and theres no way im going to buy new bits

for me retro is the ethos of not hailing this years stuff as the greatest thing to ever happen to cycling . for the vast majority can happily have good fun on a decent rigid with nice but not gucci bits . i like to think of it as stepping to the side of the rushing peloton of cycling marketing and consumerism and watching it carry on , happy being where you are and looking to your side and seeing a few other people who share the same thoughts

Re: Simplicity

scrapper":40vrm6f0 said:
Pure simplicity !! Thats why i love retro bikes , the fact that you can shove them in the shed after a hard ride safe in the knowledge that it will still ride sweet several weeks later with no maintenance
try that when you have a dozen pivots and high pressure shocks !!!
I do that all the time with my '07 Orange 5 (single pivot & air forks & air shock), never had any problems.

Taking off the rose tinted. My Claud Butler retailed for around £500 in 1992 with 500LX, Reynolds 531 frame, Wolber rims etc etc.

It biggest let down was the push/ push shifters

I had a 2007 Kona Stuff Delux ( £450?) which came with Rock shox, Deore, mechanical disks and so on.

Its biggest let down was that it was shite :LOL: :LOL: too bloody heavy and a pig to get the handling right.

I hate the fact that they let you ride faster for longer with less breakages ;)

MJN":3cnhpz0d said:
I hate the fact that they let you ride faster for longer with less breakages ;)
Yeah that's a right pain in the ass, I hate having brakes that work well in all conditions and are dead easy to maintain, I mean who'd have those over Canti brakes ;)

PS I really don't care how old or new a bike is, it's how it rides that matters, I feel that modern stuff has it's place just as retro does. Just a shame I can't ride retro (MTB) anymore due to a dodgy back & lack of funds.

Back