Which manufacturers made the biggest frames?

Actually I still have that bike in that configuration. I do not have real problems with the way it handels. On my home single track course there is only one corner that tight that is causes some trouble ...or better put: additional effort.

Still want to change it back to original rigid setup, because the forks isn't period correct.

Personally I ride bikes ranging from 42 to 54. Every person is different though.

I do not think proper bikes like that Kona with 15cm headtube are tough to source.

Elev12k":jc8p2p88 said:
150mm doesn't sound like exceptionally long to me :? My 20.5" Koga's already have a 175mm headtube.

Probably should have quantified that a bit.

For a suspension corrected large frame (as opposed to XL) frame they are relatively long and can make finding a period fork to suit a bit of a task. Most similarly dimentioned frames I've found from the mid/late 90s onwards have a 5-5.3" (5" more common now) head tube in comparison.

Okay, I get it.

If we have to keep an eye out for a suitable fork with long steerer let us know.

- Melvin

orange71":3pawu1fn said:
The post's generally not the problem, just the front end. If you have a long headtube then you start getting problems with finding steerers to fit... and so it goes on!

Higher rise stem (say 15 deg if you are using a 0 or 5 deg) with a 1 - 2" riser bar and an extra spacer or two sounds like the most feasible solution - which you're already trying.

On your current bike what it the current drop (saddle height to bar height)?

Something that you may also want to consider is your current flexibility and lower back strength.

If you hamstrings are tight (ie you can't touch your toes) you may benefit from some basic stretching.

There are also a couple of simple back strength excercises (they take about 5 miuntes max per day) which I found fixed all my lower back issues on the bikes. If you want I can send you details of these if you want to give them a try.

cheers for all this - saddle to toptube is a long way (can't measure just now!) must be going on 40cm though. Flexibility OK I can touch my toes (despite long legs and comparatively short arms!), lower back ok never had problems except when handlebars too low!! I do like a slightly sit-up-and-beg position. I was always told 2/3 weight on saddle 1/3 on handlebars but a lot of the time it feels 1/2 and 1/2.

Anyway, have got a 40deg (!) stem and hi-rise bars currently on most of my bikes which helps!

That sounds indeed pretty extreme.

Recall a guy overhere who was over 2m rode a Ventana Marble Peak in 56cm if I remember correctly. Don't know whether it was a custom job.

Will notify whenever I see something really large ...or you should go the custom way (new+fork)

Be weary of TI frame, a bloke I worked with was a tall unit on a 19" Raleigh TI and all I can remember is seeing his seat tube flexing in the middle :shock: , imagune if that had ever gone, blood, blood and more blood!

Dyna Tech's flex like nothing else! I know, I've had 3 :LOL:

I am 15 1/2 stone and ride my Dyna Tech road bike almost daily when I am home, have done for 15 years. It flexes a lot but (touch wood) always comes back. With the shoddy road surfaces down here it makes it a lovely ride, no buzz! :D

Back