PC operating system question

aha....

I get a lot of decent cases from the recycling centre with Windows XP licenses still attached - I use my HP laptop's original Windows XP installation disk to install XP and register the installation all nice and legit via Microsoft.

;)

I have just bought a new custom build,i used my original xp disc,the shop asked if i was running it on another machine,i lied and said no ,just so theyd install it and not charge me for another copy

As far as im aware you cannot have both copies of an OS running online at the same time
I think windows will disable both copies as 'not genuine'
I use them singly ,one just for gaming ,one just for surfing /media/etc
I unplug the internet connection and put it in what ever machine im using at the time

Is this what you mean?

I use my one genuine XP disk and register each PC build with the license that is on that PC case.

on the 'register/ validate your XP operating sstem' - I just type in whatever product key happens to be on the case I've just built. Just restoring the original operating system.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
stew-b":1b8e87fg said:
but if i build/buy a new pc,use my xp disc and license number from old pc then if the old pc lives in my loft then surely thats ok?

looking at just buying this now,not building-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0395086960

If you have an XP license, you'll own the right to 1 XP operating system. There no problem in migrating that one operating system from one machine to another. Just the same as if your mB fries or your HDD dies. The operating system has no idea what PC its on, just that its validated and registered with MS.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
stew-b":39eib568 said:
but if i build/buy a new pc,use my xp disc and license number from old pc then if the old pc lives in my loft then surely thats ok?

looking at just buying this now,not building-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0395086960

I wouldn't invest in the AMD systems at the moment, they are not particulary good value for money.
The cheaper PhenomII X3 720 is a faster CPU in the AMD range at media and the same at gaming. You would need to overclock the 9550 to get to x3 720 stock performance

Intels E5200, E7300/E7400 (depends on which is cheapest) are better value and if you overclock excellent value. the E7300 at stock is as fast in media as the Phenom 9550
The E8400/E8500 are the next in the value line.

If you go Quad, and if you do you'll need to be running the latest version of your video editing software and I think the last two version of Photoshop (CS2/3 iirrc) to make any use of the quads extra power.

Better choices from that seller.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/INTEL-Core2Duo-E7 ... dZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/INTEL-Core2Duo-E5 ... dZViewItem

Though if you are going up to 350 region you could use the one I posted and up the graphics card to a GeForce GTS250 (about £50 to £60 more) and if you run the latest Photoshop will have a serious increase in power as it'll use the CUDA part of the graphics card is used last new I heard. Plus you'll have a good basic gaming machine ;)

If you can build a bike you can certainly screw a few screws and push in a few cables.

thanks man,your replies are very helpful :) im still debating a built or build direction,i have no probs putting things together,thats my job :)
all these will be totally overkill for me but i like to futureproof...i have a 1TB NAS drive so hd space isnt so important,i would like to run a cable to the pc though to take advantage of my belkin n1's gigabit ports but i think a gigabit thingie card is cheap enough to add on anyway...

The motherboard I posted has Gigabit Ethernet. Personally I would go for a more expensive board (20 quid more ?) based on the P43, both will also have Gigabit ethernet but check and that it has anything else you need.
I have no real idea which is the best card down at that price range, but they are better than integrated.
I guess the power you need will probably depend on if you intend to use HDTV/BluRay or not

Build it Build it!
Harddrives are pretty cheap and you don't save much going for the smaller drives, you do tend to loose speed though to see any major saving.

Future proof, well the Intel Core2 series on 775 socket (which these are all based on) should be at an end soon as it newer brother the Core i7 which is a lot faster is out but expensive to get started with. Though you still have all the Quad's in the future you can buy when they drop to cheap prices as the i7's take over.

Back