Which manufacturers made the biggest frames?

Cannondale did some frames in XL and Jumbo
Univega did their steels frames in 22.5
SBC did some 23
Trek did some 22.5, some 24 in cheaper models

orange71":wvh4wgqj said:
I'm fed up with teeny tiny 19" (!) frames. Who made big frames so I can look out for them? Nothing ever seems to fit me :cry:

Whats the limiting factor for you - the seat tube length or the effective top tube length or both? How tall are you anyway ;)

While in most cases a 410mm Thomson post can cope with frames slightly on the small side, there's not much that can be done about the shortish top tubes without going to some rather nasty long stems.

Most manfacuters have largish frames but on a bell curve basis there's not many around when you look - as you've no doubt found.

For me it's the fact that I have long legs compared to the rest of my body (36" inside leg). I am 6'3". Therefore I can use a 400mm seatpost at full stretch and it's OK, but then the handlebars are too far down. The length of the top tube isn't a problem - it's the geometry I guess that means it is a long way down to the bars. I usually have to have a long hi-rise stem with riser bars just to get close so i don't get bachache in the aero position!! Really I guess I need an XL frame designed with a naturally very high front end (means the top tube might slope down towards the seat tube quite exaggeratedly, but that's the price to pay!). The best fit I've managed is my San Andreas to be honest.

When i worked in shops (BITD) Marin made 20.5" frames that measured at about 22" and the 21 Kona were huge - too big for me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally I'm after an XL Klein Attitude or Adroit which measure up at 21"

Something like this would do it?? I think it is 22.5 or maybe only the 20.5. Too bad, there was a very nice carbolite in 22.5 offered last week ....and it was ridiculously cheap. Was too late, gone within a blink of the eye.

- Melvin

Something like a 20" Kona Hei Hei or King Kahuna sounds like it would do the trick as it has a 150mm head tube.

A good set of riser bars will also help, even if they look out of place on older bikes.

150mm doesn't sound like exceptionally long to me :? My 20.5" Koga's already have a 175mm headtube.

btw longest post I know is by Shannon. They come in 500mm flavour

The post's generally not the problem, just the front end. If you have a long headtube then you start getting problems with finding steerers to fit... and so it goes on!

I guess some of the older non-suspension corrected frames that came in 21"+ might be the best option as they'll naturally sit higher with a 100mm fork, say.

I put a Manitou with 10cm travel in non corrected bike with already 17 headtube and I indeed ended up with high front ....and a bike some would say handles like lorry

Back