My Alpinestars Al Mega

chestermale

Retro Newbie
Firstly what an amazing site i came across this by accident but have spent hours looking through everyones old bikes which leads me to share with everyone what was lurking at the back of my garage

Here is my Alpinestars Al Mega 1990-92 ish i think
I bought this many years ago with some insurance money after someone took my GT.

My original plan was to spend half the money on a bike and pocket the rest however the insurance company said they would pay the cheque directly to the bike shop much to the delight of the shop owner.
So I purchased the frame and then bought everything else seperately and got them to build it up think it cost around £1500 at the time

XT Rear mech
XT Crankset
XT Thumbshifters
Hope hubs front and back with snowflake design spokes on front wheel
USE seat post
Club roost bars
Flexstem

I think I am going to put this up for sale as I haven't ridden it for 10 years so be keen to know if anyone enthusiasts would be interested

Attachments

• jvm1001.jpg
    jvm1001.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 2,892
  • jvm1004.jpg
    jvm1004.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 2,892
  • jvm1005.jpg
    jvm1005.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 2,891
  • jvm1008.jpg
    jvm1008.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 2,892
If you'd described this without pictures, I would have thought it a bit weird, but in a strange way, I quite like this!

There will always be someone interested. Post in whats it worth thread to get an idea of value.

Very nice. It's a 1991 al-mega with the headstay gusset conversion and 1992 decals. So probably went back to the factory under warranty at some point in 92 for the conversion.

thanks guys, I have posted details to find out it's value not sure whether to sell on here or pop it on ebay
cheers matt

Things always sell bettter split into parts, you'll get more money but will spend most of your week getting pally with your post office.

The problem with the 91 al-mega's is they are fragile and prone to cracking. Yours looks good but one area that is nagging at me is the rear chainstay on the drive side. Looks swelled to me, has it been repaired?

with my ebay account the post office know me pretty well already
the frame is absolutely mint condition i only ever used to just ride it round delamere forest as a kid so it's never been subjected to any serious down hill as for the stay it's just the angle i have taken the picture on but the stay is fine never been in for any repairs, the paint has rubbed away slightly on the forks where one of the cables has rubbed over time.
Looks like i will have to get the toolkit out then unless i get a reasonable offer for it.

The chainstays were flattened in that area originally so there is clearance for the chain due to over sized tubes. Not sure on this colour either must have been respayed at some time.

I had a 91 for about 3-4 years and it was in and out of the shop for service etc nobody told me about a gusset recall, i wonder if this was done in th factory because its not even a stock colour from any year i can remember. In 1992 the DX was Blue XT was Black and XTR was polished. Looks like a clever patch job hope it holds.

Back