PC operating system question

stew-b

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
im looking at buying a base unit that doesnt come with an operating system..i have 2 pcs,one with vista and one with xp,is there any way i can use these op systems on the blank HD?? i dont think i have disks for either as they are built into the hd as a recovery..or i could potentially connect the old sata hd into the new base unit and do something with that???

stew-b":x8pgglrx said:
not even my second option? :?
Yes, but you can't have them running on two different machines at the same time, and it will be a faff to get it all going.
They used to say if you upgraded your motherboard you needed a new license, but they don't anymore.
Are you sure you don't want to try Linux?

Just use ubuntu, free and if you don't play games and only want if for word processing, imaging, internet, etc it will be perfect.

You could try just puttin ghte old harddrive in and booting. May work, may not ;)

You could get the ProductID form your current WindowsXP using an ID recovery tool, chances are it's OEM though.
Get an OEM WindowsXP disc from the web, burn it and install and try your code it. I may work, it may not.
Technicaly it's not legal but it's more legal than other ways.

For now just download Win7 and use the testing version legally. It's Vista but a bit refineda and should see you through.

Illegal ways of using WinXP/Vista are found via google/mininova/other search engines ... 'student editions' tend to be good.

Actually, you can use an OEM version in a new machine. Not strictly legal, but they don't know you haven't upgraded your motherboard.
Did I say about Linux? :p

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back