Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

You lot seen the Traverse on ebay (mentioned in ebay market watch section)? Looks like an '89 to me?? That's my favourite period for retro Saracens. :cool:

The other day, I had to question myself as to my sanity, for I saw chained to a lamp post, a late eighties Saracen Tufftrax Comp, and sad, mad (?) enough to photograph it. All original and battered, except for v brakes fitted.

Here, am I sad, or is this an idea, photograph the early Saracens when they are seen, so that they may be posted as a reference to those that go too retro and want it all original.

I think there is a late eighties Saracen on ebay at the moment, somewhere up in the Lake District area.

Just found the original canti's off my '89 Tufftrax in a bag in the garage. Only found 3 of them so far but I'll hunt for the other. Any Saracen lover in need of 'em for an original Tufftrax build feel free to contact me. :)

I've finally got round to building up one of my two Bankrupt eBay Saracen frames and took it out for a test ride today.
This one has been built up using parts from my Zaskar which is going to be renovated over the summer.
Built up as my touring bike, hence the XT/Deore hybrid thumbshifters, Brooks saddle, and comfortably high front end.
Overall I am really impressed with the way it rides, with a slightly slack front end and a nice lightweight responsive feel. I'll be loading up the panniers and bar-bag for some extended testing soon, and then I reckon it'll off to the powder-coaters for something slightly less black...

Saracen-Tourer%20-%20First-Ride%20(1).jpg

Saracen-Tourer%20-%20First-Ride%20(2).jpg

Saracen-Tourer%20-%20First-Ride%20(3).jpg

Saracen-Tourer%20-%20First-Ride%20(4).jpg

Saracen-Tourer%20-%20First-Ride%20(5).jpg

Saracen-Tourer%20-%20First-Ride%20(6).jpg

Saracen-Tourer%20-%20First-Ride%20(7).jpg

Looks good Paul, Im going to give my bankrupt bike a switch round and make it into a single speed city bike, I have picked up a used 853 Kili frame and wheels for the dirt so the black frame is getting rebuilt for commuting.

looks good Paul Gil-M is doing me some saracen killi racer decals atm so if you want to decal it he'll have the template for it .

Thanks chaps. Those decal might come in handy for the other one when it's built up, I'm thinking of keeping this touring one more or less unbranded.
I'm still unsure as to what year this frame is from. I'm guessing that it's 1996 onwards because it'll only take v-brakes. Is there any way of accurately dating a Saracen frame, from the serial number etc. or will I have to cut it in half and count the rings...?

Ive just swapped a set of Saracen forks with i believe in fixies who incidentally is after a set of project twos ,possible deal coming off ?

legrandefromage":2crsci7f said:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaagh! those forks my eyes, my beautifull eys....

I know, I know, they aren't the prettiest forks, but they are there for a good reason. When I've got my bar-bag on, the extended bit at the fork crown is perfect for fitting a front light to, otherwise I'd be stumped.
I've got a nice set of Saracen forks which will be going on the other frame.

Back