Recumbents

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
Got my old recumbent out of the shed on Sunday and have been commuting all week so far. Such comfort and less bother with head winds.
Any other recumbent riders out there and does anyone ride what might be called a retro classic in the biking sub group.

Mine is a Easyrider EZ-1, basically a USA market off the peg bargain compact long wheel base model.

Also has anyone braved off road riding on one, always fancied giving it a go as charging feet first down a hill seems more sensible :D

This was mine BITD rode from Hampton Court to Slough 5 days a week on it :D A wonderful way to cycle. Alas don't have one now. due to space or lack of :( :(

Bodge one,

My first involved sticking a wooden beam onto the front of a mixte frame with an old B/B cut off an old frame and mounting a seat low down in the centre of the bike. Chose too torturous a chain routing though and it snapped under the stress in front of a load of jeering youths :oops:

Planning a front wheel drive homebuild though, just getting the stuff assembled. Probably will not work but it'll be fun trying.

Go on give it a try :D

Am i just being a little dense or does this front wheel drive recumbent twist the chain when you turn the bars? wouldnt that play havoc with the gears?
rapto_2.jpg

velomaniac":2aceewo3 said:
Bodge one,

My first involved sticking a wooden beam onto the front of a mixte frame with an old B/B cut off an old frame and mounting a seat low down in the centre of the bike. Chose too torturous a chain routing though and it snapped under the stress in front of a load of jeering youths :oops:

Planning a front wheel drive homebuild though, just getting the stuff assembled. Probably will not work but it'll be fun trying.

Go on give it a try :D

Hmmmm....

Attachments

• trike.JPG
    trike.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 915
I had a go on a Speedy once (Windcheetah) and really loved it. When I asked about them they came in a kit and you even had to bond the frame together yourself! :shock: Luckily these days they come fully assembled and ready to ride.

I seem to remember that someone made a carbon version of this called a Demon. It also had twin Hope discs. :cool:

I still want a Speedy but haven't got the space (or the money at the mo).

Best thing about trikes is winter time! Find an empty car park covered in ice and ride! :LOL: :LOL:

Big Cheese, the trike could work but also could work in reverse tadpole trike style but with single rear wheel steer.

Give it a go :D

Also the front wheel drive model does twist the chain slightly but as you mainly steer by leaning on a bike its usually not a problem. Several makers have gone this route so it must work.

Off the peg recumbents are great but homemade bodge's are great fun.

Many plans for homebuilts also exist on the web including wooden framed models :cool:

Cruz Bikes also offer a good kit that converts almost any bike into a front wheel drive model.

velomaniac":24lnm2z4 said:
Big Cheese, the trike could work but also could work in reverse tadpole trike style but with single rear wheel steer.

Give it a go :D

Also the front wheel drive model does twist the chain slightly but as you mainly steer by leaning on a bike its usually not a problem. Several makers have gone this route so it must work.

Off the peg recumbents are great but homemade bodge's are great fun.

Many plans for homebuilts also exist on the web including wooden framed models :cool:

Cruz Bikes also offer a good kit that converts almost any bike into a front wheel drive model.

Hmmmm, strokes chin, eyes up grinder....

Back