How to get a press-in BB outta tha frame

Void(EN12-82)

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all,

I just have another question concerning my Rascal frame:

How the bl**dy h*ll does someone get that press-in BB out? Do I need to go to a KLEIN dealer or is it just a matter of bang-on-one-side until it comes out, then bang-on-the-other-side until that one comes out.

It has to be out for the respray (the sandblasting part, that is).

Thanx for the help again,

Dennis... uhm I mean Void, yeah that's it: VOID ;-)

yup, theres a specific tool for it. I've seen it done with a threaded bar & big locknuts, just make sure it goes in square!

the instructions how to properly do the bb job can be found in the pre-Trek tech manual but you would need the Klein tool

http://www.kleinjapan.com/tech_guide/pr ... manual.pdf

first you'll have to remove the spindle. you can hammer it out but it is not really recommended. the spindle is loctited into hte bearings and you need to break the loctite bond. if you really want to hammer it out make sure that you properly support the bearing on the other side with a properly fitting adapter. better not transfer any energy into the frame. also dont just hammer on the spindle end, thread a crank bolt tightly into it first. and take a heavy enough hammer (500-1000grams). one hard hit is better than many weak ones. you run the risk to bend the spindle and the bearings will not survive. once the spindle is out you can tap out the bearings with a long and stiff enough metal rod from the opposite side. but be really careful to keep them square otherwise they may stuck or you may destroy the bb shell!

i've done it successfully a few times with a hammer but it is risky. i've built myself a tool to press out the spindle with standard material from the Gamma. works well but you still need some adapters to support the bearings which i had in my tool box. here's a pic

BB_Tool.jpg

groeten, carsten

Soooooo, I guess that's gonna be a trip to the KLEIN dealer then :oops: I just know that doing that myself won't work (selfknowledge, eh).

PS: @Carsten, location: Houston TX and ending with "groeten"??!! :?:

Back