My Specialized Family (update)

Last Tuesday I've delivered a new front hub to my LBS. He will build me a new (not retro) front wheel for my M4. It will be ready tomorrow...

Last night I've replaced the handles of my old M950 brake levers for some nice new ones. This is the result: (left the old one, right the new one)

pbpic2110625.jpg

I'm searching the internet now for some nice shifters and rear mech of the same series. Over time I also would like to "update" the modern cranks on it. I think I stick with hollowtech 2 cranks, I love those bearings. I'm thinking of those nice new XT cranks, the same one as I have on my M5. It has a kind of retro design ;)...

grtz
Gène

Last week the M4 had some up grades. A new front wheel, and a new fork. The fork had arrived with the mail today, and I've been searching for one some while.

Rock Shox Sid 1998:
pbpic2138152.jpg

Corrosion on the crown:
pbpic2138151.jpg

The fork is a good technical condition, it was serviced a few months ago (according to the buyer). Unfortunately the corrosion is an optical setback, and also the decals are not what they used to be.

I have send an e-mail this morning to the dutch distributor, maybe they can help me with some new decals. Although I don't think they can. Maybe can someone give me a good address for some authentic decals?

I also was thinking about the corrosion, and maybe it is better to repaint the fork in the same color of-course. Is this wise to do, or should I leave it as it is?

grtz
Gène

Liking the M5 mate,looking to get the Carbon HT myself soon,whats it ride like,is it really stiff or responsive,ive got the FSR works bike and its fantastic but fancied a HT to match?

andy.l":1kzti7d0 said:
Liking the M5 mate,looking to get the Carbon HT myself soon,whats it ride like,is it really stiff or responsive,ive got the FSR works bike and its fantastic but fancied a HT to match?

Thnx! The M5 is a very sweet ride, stiff, not to flexy, corners really good, good weight balance during the climbs and downhills. I can drive for hours, although it is an energy consuming bike. But is that not the thing with all the american transportation ;)

grtz
Gène

ahh

the sid is fantastic! I have the 98 Judy SL on a bike that's pending sale right now, and it to has some corrosion and some fading on the paint but theese have still the most beautiful lower legs known by man, and I don't thought of the Judy as more flexy then my Skareb acctually. But I'm gonna try finding me a Fox fork heard that they are rock solid...

I Rode the 93 S-works stumpjumper back in the days and it was just repainted and fitted with some judy fork in 97-8 and it was truly the best handling bike I ever had. Then my friend borrowed it and cracked it (he was a fat bastard so)

Re: ahh

captain8track":13od8a0e said:
the sid is fantastic! I have the 98 Judy SL on a bike that's pending sale right now, and it to has some corrosion and some fading on the paint but theese have still the most beautiful lower legs known by man, and I don't thought of the Judy as more flexy then my Skareb acctually. But I'm gonna try finding me a Fox fork heard that they are rock solid...

I Rode the 93 S-works stumpjumper back in the days and it was just repainted and fitted with some judy fork in 97-8 and it was truly the best handling bike I ever had. Then my friend borrowed it and cracked it (he was a fat bastard so)

I can tell the Fox is great, very stiff indeed, and reliable.

I made my first ride today with te Sid. It was the first ride with a Sid ever, and I thought it was great. Very pluche, but not to jumpy.

I think it is a keeper. If it ever breaks, I'll buy a new one. That brings me straight to the minor part of it, I think it will break down any day now. Those seals don't look they can handle the rides. I'll keep it in mind, and give its it service at the end of the season. I also swap it for the steel stiff fork I still have for winter times.

I will post a new photo soon, with fork build in the M4. First I need to make some school exams...

grtz
Gène

hmm

just lube the inner legs up, I did that on my judy and it worked well, better then I thought... I had some "judy butter" lying around. I might go for the sid myself, depends on what I can get hold of... it just has to be 80mm's and light... I use the Skareb 100mm today and it's not stiffer then the old judy so...

The 2003 Epics are really heavy frames! My wife has a Marathon model (M4 instead of M5) in size S and the bare frame weighs 2705g.
Specialized overhauled the design for 2004 and those models are already over 200g lighter...

Lovely bikes though!

Back